10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 14, 2007 9:04 PM by Kevin James3
Kevin James3 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
Talk about boneheaded, I was restarting my computer. How the **** was I able to delete my Finder?????!!!!!

I first wanted to empty my trash bin when it announced that the finder was in use and it wanted to confirm whether I wanted to "stop" or "continue". I clicked continue thinking it was just trashing all my unwanted pics and documents. The finder CAN'T be deleted. :-O When my G4 rebooted, I realized I couldn't access my dock anymore and the Finder wasn't coming up. It seems the only way to get to my Disk Utility folder (for repairs & verify) is to start up Safari which allows me to have a pull down bar at the top of my screen to access my "Spotlight" feature. Can anyone suggest anything? I do have my Tiger start up disk, just not sure where to go from there.

Titanium laptop, Mac OS X (10.4.9), G4
  • macjack Level 9 Level 9 (50,625 points)
    Hi Kevin, Welcome to Apple Discussions.

Please let us know what you mean by "can't find your Finder". On the Dock?
    Your Finder.app is located in /System/Library/CoreServices/Finder.app. Is it there? If it is drag it to your Dock.

You may also want to trash the prefs ~(yourHome)/Library/Preferences and trash these two files:
    com.apple.finder.plist
    com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

Then log out and back in or restart.

-mj
    macjack@gmail.com
  • Kevin James3 Level 1 Level 1 (15 points)
    It actually is in my Dock but when I click on my desktop the finder is not listed in the upper left next to the apple icon. It's as if the computer comes on but the finder doen't load properly. When I did a force quit to try to relaunch the finder, it isn't even listed as open or operating.
    I think I succeeded in doing the impossible and deleted my finder. LOL . I can't find or link to my Home, User, or Applications folders to locate the preferences you referred to.
    Thanks for responding so quick to this sitch. I am able to access the disk utility. When I verify disk it says my

Volume Header needs minor repair
    The volume PowerBook needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
    Volume needs repair

Solution Recommended - start up from your Mac OS X install disc, then choose Utilities> Disk Utility.....

There is no spot to choose this folder, only choice is Update, Archive or Erase and reinstall. Is there something I'm missing?

Thanks again.
    Yes, you are missing this:

Steps for using Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X Tiger Install disc or Install Disk 1 that came with your computer, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
    2. *When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu.* (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
    3. Click the First Aid tab.
    4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
    5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
    6. Click Repair.
    If you repair errors run it until no errors found.

-mj
    macjack@gmail.com

Message was edited by: macjack
    Thank you macjack, you're suggestion worked great and got me the repair notice I needed but my Finder still doesn't launch.

Do you recommend I go back to your first sugggestion of deleting the

com.apple.finder.plist & com.apple.sidebarlists.plist?
    Yes, why don't you give that a try, if you can do that now now.

If that doesn't work, you may be able to repair this with 10.4.9 PPC Combo Update.
    This is a fuller install, as opposed to an incremental "delta" update so it should overwrite any files that are damaged or missing. It does not matter if you have applied it before. It has worked well for many.

Remember to Verify Disk before update and repair permissions after update from /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility.

-mj
    macjack@gmail.com
    I'll try it now and let you know how successful it is.
    JM, I had to end up achiving and reinstalling, good looking out on the suggestions. I found a MACOS folder in the trash. I'm not sure if I accidently dragged it into the trash or if the Reinstall put it there. Either way everything is running smooth. Thanks for the assist.
    I ended up having to Reinstall and Archive saving all my settings as they existed before the problem.

The Reinstall takes a bit of time but once it's done the computer responds as normal.

It is important once your finder is operating properly to do a software update immediately before diving back in; to get all apps, java, security, etc. upgrades back up to date.

Macjack's sugggestions were excellent in being able to diagnose and narrow down my options.