Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac OS not case sensitive?

Hello. I've changed my username (short name) from "daLizard" to "dalizard". Later on I found out that /Users/daLizard was not renamed to /Users/dalizard. I thought I wasn't supposed to be able to use uppercase letters in my username (short name) in first place. After playing around it seems like Mac OS is not case sensitive. "cd /users", "cd /USERS", "cd /UsErS", "finger DALIZARD", "finger daLizard" are all acceptable.

Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 12, 2007 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2007 11:46 PM

Most, but not all, of OSX is not case-sensitive. When you format a disk you can choose a case-sensitive file system, but it is not recommended for the main OSX partition because some applications will fail (different parts of the application mistakenly use different case when referring to the same file).

If you need a case-sensitive file system for some special purpose, you can use another partition, or create a disk image file, with a case-sensitive format.

You can use upper and lower case in the short name when you create the account, and it will give your home folder a name with the matching upper and lower case. Changing the short name or home folder name can create problems. Often it is easier to just create a new account and copy files over.

Some parts of OSX (e.g. passwords) are purposely case-sensitive, some accidentally (some applications treat files differently if the extension is upper-case). Terminal commands are Unix, which is case-sensitive.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2007 11:46 PM in response to daLizard

Most, but not all, of OSX is not case-sensitive. When you format a disk you can choose a case-sensitive file system, but it is not recommended for the main OSX partition because some applications will fail (different parts of the application mistakenly use different case when referring to the same file).

If you need a case-sensitive file system for some special purpose, you can use another partition, or create a disk image file, with a case-sensitive format.

You can use upper and lower case in the short name when you create the account, and it will give your home folder a name with the matching upper and lower case. Changing the short name or home folder name can create problems. Often it is easier to just create a new account and copy files over.

Some parts of OSX (e.g. passwords) are purposely case-sensitive, some accidentally (some applications treat files differently if the extension is upper-case). Terminal commands are Unix, which is case-sensitive.

Mac OS not case sensitive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.