Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New User - Time Calculation Question

Hello folks,

I'm new to spreadsheets generally, but am trying to make a very basic one to work out overtime due on projects.

Is there a way I can enter start time and end time and have Numbers work out the hours and minutes I have worked in a day?

I've worked out how to do the further steps (i.e. multiply results by hourly rate) - it's the hours and minutes thing which is stumping me!

Hope you can help - and thanks in advance.

Neil

G5 Quad 8GB RAM 30" Cinema Display Blackmagic Decklink HD Extreme 2 x 500GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.4.10), QuickTime 7.3

Posted on Aug 13, 2007 12:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2007 2:49 AM

The only way I found is the following:
- create some extra columns, e.g. hour_start, hour_end, minute_start, minute_end
- in the hour_start column, extract the hour from the column in which you keep your start_time, in the hour_end extract the hour from the column in which you keep your end_time, etc...
- create two more extra columns: hours_diff and minutes_diff, and calculate the number of hours and number of minutes between start and end (remember is minute_end < minute_start, the diff = minute_end + 60 - minute_start)
- in your time_worked column, concatenate the results of hours_diff and minutes_diff with a ":" in between
- hide your hour_start, hour_end, minute_start, minute_end etc... columns

I hope there is a more obvious way, but I was just quickly playing with Numbers, and didn't find it right away so I used this work around.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 13, 2007 2:49 AM in response to nortie

The only way I found is the following:
- create some extra columns, e.g. hour_start, hour_end, minute_start, minute_end
- in the hour_start column, extract the hour from the column in which you keep your start_time, in the hour_end extract the hour from the column in which you keep your end_time, etc...
- create two more extra columns: hours_diff and minutes_diff, and calculate the number of hours and number of minutes between start and end (remember is minute_end < minute_start, the diff = minute_end + 60 - minute_start)
- in your time_worked column, concatenate the results of hours_diff and minutes_diff with a ":" in between
- hide your hour_start, hour_end, minute_start, minute_end etc... columns

I hope there is a more obvious way, but I was just quickly playing with Numbers, and didn't find it right away so I used this work around.

New User - Time Calculation Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.