Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Print to PDF: won't open in Adobe Reader, but will in Preview

Subject says it all.

I use "Save as PDF" from an application and the resulting file does not open/display properly using Adobe Acrobat, but it opens and displays just great using Preview.

Dubya-tee-eff ?

Here is the offending PDF

Intel iMac. Titanium G4 Powerbook, G4 iMac,, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 13, 2007 10:31 AM

12 replies

Aug 13, 2007 11:59 AM in response to Dan White

Dan,

Photoshop CS3 will not open it -- says it is not an Adobe type PDF file. Graphic Converter will open it, but only after I instruct it to open with resolution of 72 (filled in default) 32 bit (chosen by GC) and checked to Dither. Once opened it had no color profile (may not be related). However, if I saved it to include those changes that were made by the preopening dialogue, the file would then open in PS CS3. I don't have Adobe Reader installed yet, but sure it would give same messages as Photoshop.

Before this Save, it was not offered to open in Safari, but after the Save, Safari was in the list of applications offered to open it with. What application was being used to prepare this document, before printing as PDF?

Ernie

Aug 14, 2007 10:57 AM in response to Dan White

Dan,

What kind of file is produced directly, before using Save as PDF in the Printer dialogue? What should I know about Qt, as to why one would use it -- is this development related?

Karl,

Interesting message, and a conclusion one would not reach from any message given by Graphic Converter, even though it could fix the file upon a Save.

Ernie

Aug 14, 2007 11:23 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

What kind of file is produced directly, before using Save as PDF in the Printer dialogue?

I am not certain I understand the question. This app prints calendars. I hope to use the print-driver's "Save to PDF" feature to produce PDF's. The app prints. The options in the print dialog determine if it goes to the printer or the disc.

What should I know about Qt, as to why one would use it -- is this development related?

The Norway-trolls say it better than I can

http://trolltech.com/products/qt/features/index

Qt is a comprehensive development framework that includes an extensive array of features, capabilities and tools that enable development of high-performance, cross-platform rich-client and server-side applications.

Qt is the leading framework for native cross-platform application development. The Qt API and tools are consistent across all supported platforms, enabling developers to learn one API and perform truly platform-independent application development and deployment. Using Qt, development teams can create native applications for all major operating systems - from all major development platforms.

Aug 14, 2007 11:41 AM in response to Dan White

Dan,

Thanks! That matches with what I had googled, but didn't think about the speciality of an app to print a certain item, like calendars 🙂

Since Save as PDF is controlled, I believe, by the printer options chosen (paper size, orientation, borderless, etc), could this have made a difference?

Is there a file Save at any point, and if so, what type of file is Saved? Are vector graphics being used, or strictly fixed size project?

Ernie

Print to PDF: won't open in Adobe Reader, but will in Preview

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.