Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro Keyboard Research

Hi,

I'd be interested to know if anyone has tried the Logic Editing Keyboard from: www.editorskeys.com

I work for the company and i'm doing research into how we could make these better for Apple Users. Your help would be much appreciated. And anyone who helps can get some money of some training CD's (i'm sure i can arrange this.)

Thanks
Mark

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 14, 2007 4:33 AM

5 replies

Aug 14, 2007 4:43 AM in response to marktheeditor

I can't look for now because your site appears to be down.

But all the customisable pro keyboards I've seen aren't particuarly useful to me, simply because of my custom key commands.

Even the ones that have replacable labels don't have all of Logic's key commands available (there are simply too many) so it will fall down eventually.

I'll go and have a look when your site is back up...

Aug 14, 2007 5:15 AM in response to marktheeditor

Ok - I like the idea of stickers to apply to your keyboard, as long as they don't wear out or come off too easily.

I assume that the Logic kit just has the stickers that are displayed in the preview window, right? In that case, it's of minimal use to me because there are just too many commands I would want to label that I could not, because those stickers aren't included - and being of a perfectionist nature, there's no point labelling the obvious ones and leaving the other commands unlabelled - otherwise, it kinda defeats the point of labelling in the first place!

Obivously, you have to draw the line somewhere, you can't provide stickers for all Logic's commands, and therefore there's always going to be people who can't label functions they use. It would be cool if you could custom order sets with the commands you want, but from a manufacturing point of view it would probably be impractical.

Personally, if I wanted to label my keys in this way, I'd probably do my own set to suit my personal requirements. But obviously I class myself as a power user and not everyone has my needs. One of Logic's strengths is it's customisable nature, and so when these products are restricted in terms of customisation flexibility, it's constraining for the people that need it. And I've found this to be the case in all keyboard/label combinations so far.

They work great for more traditional applications where keys commands are much more consistent - Final Cut Pro, say, but less so for Logic.

Just my tuppence worth of feedback anyway, for what it's worth... 😉

Aug 14, 2007 5:51 AM in response to Bee Jay

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your reply you can see a full size image of the set here: http://www.editorskeys.com/img/products/logickeyboard_large.jpg

We are thinking about creating a new system which allows users to mix and match there shortcuts so each set we send out is individual. This would of course make the cost of each set much higher.

We've tried to include some of the more complex options on the standard keyset. Editors Keys are also trying to pioneer a new keyboard made up of LCD keys, which change for each program you use.

Thanks
Mark

Aug 14, 2007 6:14 AM in response to marktheeditor

Thanks for your reply you can see a full size image of the set here:

Yep, I saw it - that's what I mean, I would barely use 10% of those. A case in point, I would never assign tools to function keys. You get direct access to tools using ESC->number keys, and generally you can have three tools active at once so tool switching is minimal when efficiently using Logic.

I have custom commands on the function keys, shift-function keys, control-shift-function keys, command-function keys and so on, so it's difficult/impossible to label these as one key can potentially do multiple functions.

As for the rest, like I say, the commands you've chosen don't match up to my uses very well at all.

As far as the LCD key concept, I think it has lots of potential, I've been watching these developments for some time. The potentially of a standard keyboard with remappable displays in each key is quite compelling, although not an easy implementation to design, no doubt...!

Logic Pro Keyboard Research

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.