Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Can you connect to a password protected Wi-Fi network???

1741 Views 7 Replies Latest reply: Aug 15, 2007 1:47 AM by Oriesko RSS
Oriesko Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Currently Being Moderated
Aug 14, 2007 8:07 AM
I have a brand new iMac and I could connect to my Wi-Fi router (Belkin G Wireless) only after turning off WEP protection on router. PC laptop was connected to the WEP protected router without any problems.

I'm using just MAC adress filtering now, but I would feel much comfortable with protection ON.

*Do you have any similar experience with new or older iMacs or other routers?*

Don't you know if yesterday issued AirportBase Update solve even some problems with iMac built-in wi-fi card?
New iMac 24" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Richardlol Calculating status...
    I have the exact same problem with my new iMac. Anyone have a solution?? I'd REALLY like to turn WEP protection back on.
  • Visiteur Calculating status...
    I can connect, but only by manually entering the network id & password via the 'Other...' option on the Airport icon on the menu bar. I have to do this each time the Mac wakes. Similarly, if I momentarily turn Airport off on the Mac - no automatic reconnection. I've not tried taking off the security for comparison. PRAM reset and re-doing the Network settings in System Prefs made no difference. I've got the updated software/firmware: I'll try Apple Support tomorrow!

Message was edited by: Visiteur
    iMac 24" 2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Matt Hoult Calculating status...
    We use WPA rather than WEP at work and I have had no issues at all with the new iMac's. Everything works as expected, connects, stays connected and re-connects after sleep/restart... Must be a WEP issue rather than a general wireless issue.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 20" ACD
  • Visiteur Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Should have mentioned: I'm using WPA.
    New iMac 24" 2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Visiteur Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    Futher to above: I've had a Powerbook and a Power Mac (G4s!) on the very same network/settings with no such problem for months/years; more recently, a friend's MacBook connects/reconnects OK.
    At the moment, it's 'interesting' rather than 'annoying'. I wouldn't be suprised to see something in my Software Update which fixes it in the next couple of weeks.
    New iMac 24" 2.4 GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • Matt Hoult Level 1 Level 1 (80 points)
    Interesting... Like I said, we use WPA here and there are all kinds of Macs connected to it. Everything that can pretty much is, including all the new iMacs. No issues at all. We are using an Airport Extreme with a bunch of Airport Express' (it's like a bunker this building).

Don't know if that will help determine anything, but it might.
    MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 1.83GHz Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM, 20" ACD

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.