Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you connect to a password protected Wi-Fi network???

I have a brand new iMac and I could connect to my Wi-Fi router (Belkin G Wireless) only after turning off WEP protection on router. PC laptop was connected to the WEP protected router without any problems.

I'm using just MAC adress filtering now, but I would feel much comfortable with protection ON.

*Do you have any similar experience with new or older iMacs or other routers?*

Don't you know if yesterday issued AirportBase Update solve even some problems with iMac built-in wi-fi card?

New iMac 24" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 14, 2007 8:07 AM

7 replies

Aug 14, 2007 1:23 PM in response to Richardlol

I can connect, but only by manually entering the network id & password via the 'Other...' option on the Airport icon on the menu bar. I have to do this each time the Mac wakes. Similarly, if I momentarily turn Airport off on the Mac - no automatic reconnection. I've not tried taking off the security for comparison. PRAM reset and re-doing the Network settings in System Prefs made no difference. I've got the updated software/firmware: I'll try Apple Support tomorrow!

Message was edited by: Visiteur

Aug 14, 2007 2:59 PM in response to Visiteur

Futher to above: I've had a Powerbook and a Power Mac (G4s!) on the very same network/settings with no such problem for months/years; more recently, a friend's MacBook connects/reconnects OK.
At the moment, it's 'interesting' rather than 'annoying'. I wouldn't be suprised to see something in my Software Update which fixes it in the next couple of weeks.

Aug 15, 2007 1:47 AM in response to Oriesko

So... I have update:

- Yesterday I downloaded an AirBase Update (cca 8MB) - just remind I have no AirPort Extreme, I use Belkin router, but I was hoping to get even some update for my iMac wi-fi card.

- After update I setup my router to 64bit WEP protection and tried to connect again with WEP protection on iMac. I got the same Error message. But...

- ...then I realized, there is even selection of *40/128 WEP protection in iMac connection setup, I tried it AND IT WORKS!*
So now I'm on WEP protected connection without any problems! (and I'm not sure if it's because of update or not 😉 )

*Anyone got to same result?*

PS: I could not use other protection than WEP because my gf PC laptop works ****** with anything else.

Can you connect to a password protected Wi-Fi network???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.