Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Startup keys with new Apple Keyboard and MacBook Pro

Upon powering up my Rev. A MBP, I hold down the OPTION key on the new Apple Keyboard to select my startup disk. Strangely, the startup went straight into the default startup disk that I have chosen previously. I didn't get to selection stage.

I tried with the old/white Apple Keyboard and my MBP keyboard and startup disk selector is A-Okay.

I hooked up the new keyboard to my new Mac mini and did the same thing and no problem.

Haven't tried with the rest of the startup keys like C or X yet with the MBP. Wonder is this a software bug between the MBP and keyboard.

Anyone with similar experience?

MacBook Pro (Rev. A) 2.16GHz/2GB RAM/100GB 7200rpm HD, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Mac minis - (C2D) 2.0GHz/2GB RAM & (PPC) 1.42GHz/1GB RAM

Posted on Aug 15, 2007 7:12 AM

9 replies

Aug 15, 2007 9:00 AM in response to a brody

Actually, startup keys sequences do work with the Apple Wireless Keyboard (the old white one). I know because I have been using it that way with my Macs, PPC and Intel ones.

I tried Command-V, Command-S, Option, T, C and Shift on the new keyboard with my Rev. A MBP and it goes go straight into the Apple logo.

Swapped back to the old Apple Keyboard with my MBP and tried the keys above and no problems whatever so.

Hooked up the new Apple Keyboard to my new Mac mini and did the same keys without problems.

So, my conclusion is there something between the new keyboard and Rev. A MBP. Maybe someone with similar setup should try wha I did and see if they face the same issues.

Aug 15, 2007 9:29 AM in response to AT

All I can think is that in order for it to work the machine and the keyboard need to be paired up by the Bluetooth utility provided by Apple before the machine will accept it. If the pairing wasn't done properly that may explain what it doesn't work at startup.

But there may be a special timing for Bluetooth to work. I've asked some of my fellow Level 4 to contribute.

Aug 15, 2007 9:50 AM in response to a brody

Well, my issue is not with bluetooth.

Startup keys sequences just don't work between the new Apple Keyboard (wired) and my Rev. A MBP.

But I have no issue with the new keyboard features as mentioned by the folks here.

Hmmm...

Will take to the Apple Service Centre when I send in my MBP for the SuperDrive replacement.

Startup keys with new Apple Keyboard and MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.