Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal Login Error

I use the Terminal now and then to get things done, but recently I have had a problem. I was playing around writing a C++ program with Xcode, and did the normal Build/Run procedure. Later, since i was just toying with it, I deleted the file that Xcode made with my program in it. Now whenever I start a Terminal window, instead of the greeting and a useful prompt I get:

Last login: Tue Aug 14 15:17:14 on ttyp1
/Users/ *me*/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
my-computer:~ *me*$ /Users/ *me*/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram; exit
-bash: /Users/ *me*/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram: No such file or directory
logout
[Process completed]

And the window is completely useless. It seems to be trying to enter the old path from my Xcode build as the user during it's normal auto login procedure. I can get a regular login by changing, under Terminal Preferences, the default start as to /usr/bin/login. This is what it's supposed to be with the normal option, but here I get different results:

login: /Users/ *me*/firstprogram/build/Debug/firstprogram; exit
Password:
Login incorrect
login: *me*
Password:
Last login: Tue Aug 14 15:21:14 on ttyp2
Welcome to Darwin!
my-computer:~ *me*$

It still seems to fill in a path for my login name. Then I can enter my real username and password and get a normal Terminal (at ttyp2 for some reason). Anybody know how to get my old working Terminal back? Thanks for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro 2.2 GHz Core 2 Duo, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 15, 2007 12:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2007 1:16 PM

Hi Bremen,

It sounds like the Execution string is set in your
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Terminal.plist. You can move the preference file from the Preferences folder or edit the .plist.

Message was edited by: Mark Jalbert
2 replies

Terminal Login Error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.