Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting to Nintendo Wii and DS?

I was planning on purchasing a Nintendo WiFi USB connector for use with my iMac before learning that it is only compatible with Windows XP (and not Windows Vista, either.) Apparently my other option is to buy a wireless router, but this would be solely for gaming because I don't have another computer to network with in the house. My question is: Is there a special type of router I need for this situation, and what is the cheapest (but still functioning) possible one I can buy? Any ideas? Thanks!

iMac 17-inch, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 16, 2007 4:10 PM

4 replies

Aug 16, 2007 9:51 PM in response to sarahsyndrome

I have no idea on the Nintendo as to what is needed, but I'd really think that most any Router would work... then there's also a chance that Internet Sharing on the Mac would work... what ports does the Nintendo have? What port is used on the Mac for Internet?

(can't exactly count on when it doesn't say Mac compatability... it may or not be so.)

Aug 17, 2007 7:34 AM in response to sarahsyndrome

The Wii supports routers with WEP / WPA
The DS only supports WEP (unfortunately, as this is low-grade security)

So, my advice is to buy a router that supports WEP, which is pretty much all of them. ONLY turn on the wireless when you wish to use the DS if you're in an urban area.

you might actually be able to "share your wireless connection" if you have an airport card in your mac. I think there's a tutorial on connection sharing in support somewhere. Can anyone else help with instructions on sharing a connection?

Oct 5, 2007 1:29 PM in response to sarahsyndrome

Yeah, you can internet share your Mac and Wii/DS. You will need to have the airport express card in your Mac. It should have one if its new, if your not sure check your system profiler. Go under airport, you should have airport card there.
You will also need an ethernet cord. This is rather lengthy and copied from another post, so yeah.
First you need to go to the system prefrences panel. Click the sharing folder icon.
Under sharing, go to the internet tab. Go to the drop down menu and click "built-in ethernet".
Below that there are check boxes, click "airport". Then click ariport options.
Put in a name, a short one is ideal, and then a password if you want. (only numbers) Click ok.
Now go to the firewall tab. If your brave enough, you can just turn off the firewall. Or...
Click "new". The port name is "other", make the description something short like, "my wii".
THIS IS IMPORTANT.
Under the "TCP Port Number(s)" field type (with the commas): 28910, 29900, 29901, 29920, 80, 443
Leave the UDP blank. Click ok.
Make sure that box is checked, go back to internet and click "start".
Your airport icon on top of the screen should be showing an upward arrow.
NOW...for the Wii setup. Fun isn't it?
Go to your wii setup, then internet tab. Click an empty network or erase one. Now click manual.
Enter the name of your network, what you labled earlier. If you forgot, click the airport icon, it should show you what signal is being sent out.
Now click the arrow and enter your WEP key. The 10 digit numerical password you made. (unless you didn't)
Click the arrow again and where it says auto-obtain IP settings, click no. Enter these; (there will be a lot more zero's auto added when you click ok. leave them)

IP: 10.0.2.11
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Default Router: 10.0.2.1
Manual DNS settings:

Go to the next screen and again NO auto-obtain DNS.

Primary DNS: 10.0.2.1
Seconday: 10.0.2.11

Leave all the other windows, click save. It should connect.
To stop you Mac from sending the signal, click the airport icon, then internet sharing. You can now click "stop". You airport will go back to normal use. To re-connect to the wii, just go back to the internet sharing and click start. It'll keep all the previous settings.
Good luck and good night.
(As a bonus, do the same wii setup for the DS to work, if you have one)
~Valentine M

Connecting to Nintendo Wii and DS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.