Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slingbox and Airport Extreme

Hi there,

I just bought a new Airport Extreme router, and I am trying to get my Slingbox Classic set up on it. I am not figuring this out, so I thought I would post a question about it. Hopefully somebody out there has had this problem and figured out a way to resolve it.

Here's how I set it up:

First, I created a DHCP reservation for the Slingbox. I have the MAC address of 00:13:b6:01:xx:xx setup to be forwarded to 192.168.1.3.

Next, I set up my port mapping to forward Public UDP and TCP port 5001 to 192.168.1.3. Those ports are send to Private UDP and TCP ports 5001.

But here's the thing, when I look at the logged in DHCP clients that are logged in, the Slingbox doesn't show up. Also, when I run the Slingbox client it can't find the Slingbox (which is what I would expect if the Slingbox weren't logged in).

So what am I missing here? Why isn't this working?

Thanks!
Robert--

iMac flat screen, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 16, 2007 6:24 PM

3 replies

Dec 9, 2007 10:53 AM in response to Robert Lindsley

Valid for Airport Utility.app v 5.2.1.
"AEBS" is the Gigabit Ethernet Airport Extreme, MAC 00:1c:b3:ad:a8:38
"Remote" is the older mushroom-shaped Airport Extreme, MAC 00:03:93:eb:a9:89

• Configuring the AEBS. Best to do this connected via ethernet. Some flakey things happen using either airport-connected Macs.

Airport: Wireless: Wireless Mode: Participate in a WDS network

Airport: WDS: WDS Mode: WDS main
Airport: WDS: Allow wireless clients: Checked
Airport: WDS: WDS Remotes: add the remote (00:03:93:eb:a9:89)

Airport: Access: MAC Address Access Control: Timed Access (because wireless security is OF)
(default) Never
00:11:24:6E:ED:7E G5 Every Day, All Day
00:13:B6:02:51:27 Slingbox Every Day, All Day
00:03:93:EB:A9:89 WDS Remote Every Day, All Day

Internet: DHCP: DHCP Range: 10.0.1.1.x
Internet: DHCP: DHCP Reservations:
10.0.1.5 Remote 00:03:93:EB:A9:89
10.0.1.6 Slingbox 00:13:b6:02:51:27 (You will NOT see this device as an AEBS wireless client, but you use this IP address for port mapping)

Internet: NAT: Enable default host at: unchecked
Internet: NAT: Enable NAT Port Mapping Protocol: checked

Advanced: Port Mapping: Allow: Remote: all ports are 5001; Private IP Address is 10.0.1.6

• Configuring the Remote. Initially I had to do this with an ethernet connection to my G5; after configured it showed up in Airport Utility along with AEBS.

Airport: Wireless: Wireless Mode: Participate in a WDS network
Airport: Wireless: Wireless Security: None

Airport: WDS: WDS Mode: WDS remote
Airport: WDS: Allow wireless clients: Checked
Airport: WDS: WDS Main: 00:1C:B3:AD:A8:38

Airport: Access: MAC Address Access Control: Not Enabled

Internet: Internet Connection: Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
Internet: Internet Connection: Ethernet WAN Port: Automatic (Default)
Internet: Internet Connection: Connection Sharing: Off (Bridge Mode)

Any Remote settings not listed were probably the defaults, since I configured it after a reset.

• Finally, I had to connect the Remote Airport to the WDS Main via ethernet cable to get the latter to recognize the Remote. Once that was done it recognized it wirelessly.

To configure the Slingbox, Open Slingplayer, and use the Slingbox Menu.

Slingbox and Airport Extreme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.