Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

According to Apple Support my G4 is a Digital audio model sold to someone around March 2001. It also states that - 1, it can take the ATI 9600 Pro.- 2, It cannot take the ATI 9600 Pro. Being totally confused, I fitted it in the AGP slot to try it. this resulted in the computer failing to start, I mean nothing started.
Replacing the original card it started as normal, so now I don't know if it is the card, or the model of G4. I really would like to upgrade this Mac if possible, as being new to Macs but not to computing, I am impressed with it.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

M5183, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 466 MHz

Posted on Aug 17, 2007 3:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2007 3:22 PM

Hi and welcome to discussions.

Unfortunately it partly depends on which version of the Radeon 9600 you have, although there can be problems with them all. I assume it is a Mac version rather than a generic PC version which won't work at all (unless flashed, i.e. had the firmware updated with the Mac version of the ROM).

There's a combined PC and Mac version with 256MB VRAM. On release this was advertised by ATI to work in all AGP x4 G4 models, including the Digital Audio. However, shortly afterwards a number of people experienced problems using it in the Digital Audio and Quicksilver models, whereby no video would be shown. ATI then released a support note stating these particular models weren't supported, leaving just the MDD and FW800 models. In short it's pot luck whether it will work or not. I've been lucky in that I have one in my Quicksilver and it works perfectly, but others haven't been so lucky. More info can be found here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/9600mac_pcedition.html

There's also an AGP x8 version which was shipped with the Power Mac G5s which had 64MB VRAM (I think). These can be made to work in AGP x4 models, including the Digital Audio, but some pins have to be taped over, otherwise the computer won't boot. Some companies, OWC I think, sold this version already modified for use in the G4s. More info can be found here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

So... I guess Apple support are right, it can take the 9600 and it can't!
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 17, 2007 3:22 PM in response to Alan Worrall

Hi and welcome to discussions.

Unfortunately it partly depends on which version of the Radeon 9600 you have, although there can be problems with them all. I assume it is a Mac version rather than a generic PC version which won't work at all (unless flashed, i.e. had the firmware updated with the Mac version of the ROM).

There's a combined PC and Mac version with 256MB VRAM. On release this was advertised by ATI to work in all AGP x4 G4 models, including the Digital Audio. However, shortly afterwards a number of people experienced problems using it in the Digital Audio and Quicksilver models, whereby no video would be shown. ATI then released a support note stating these particular models weren't supported, leaving just the MDD and FW800 models. In short it's pot luck whether it will work or not. I've been lucky in that I have one in my Quicksilver and it works perfectly, but others haven't been so lucky. More info can be found here:

http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/feedback/9600mac_pcedition.html

There's also an AGP x8 version which was shipped with the Power Mac G5s which had 64MB VRAM (I think). These can be made to work in AGP x4 models, including the Digital Audio, but some pins have to be taped over, otherwise the computer won't boot. Some companies, OWC I think, sold this version already modified for use in the G4s. More info can be found here:

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/pins-3-and-11

So... I guess Apple support are right, it can take the 9600 and it can't!

Aug 18, 2007 2:42 PM in response to Rodney Culling

Hi, and thanks for the quick response,
Since reading your reply I have contacted the guy who sold me the Radeon9600,he tells me that he's only 90% sure it is the dual PC/MAC version,as the relevant manuel and discs have been lost. he had it in a PC. One thing I am sure of is that it is an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro with 256MB of VRAM, but a low profile card. I have failed to come up with an illustration of such a card, the AMD/ATI site is pretty useless, so I guess I will carry on looking before giving up on it.

Aug 19, 2007 7:16 AM in response to Alan Worrall

Hi

For what it's worth some photos of the Mac & PC Edition can be found here:

http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=2502&p=2

The most obvious features are the PCB is blue rather than green and it has two DVI ports. It's also fanless and has a distinct bit of metal shielding attached to the mounting bracket. I guess there may be some PC only cards matching this description, but if yours is green with a DVI port and VGA port for example it isn't the Mac & PC edition.

ATI Radeon 9600 Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.