Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

airtunes, frontrow and volume

I am using front row on a laptop which is also streaming music fron a remote computer to my stereo. If I use the itunes volume control I can control the volume. If I use the frontrow volume control the volume does not change.

Not a feature? Preference?

Jim

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 17, 2007 8:17 PM

5 replies

Nov 14, 2007 7:21 AM in response to Douglas McLaughlin

Actually, volume control is still present via iTunes when using the digital (optical) cable from your AirPort Express. (I'm doing it now - you just need the volume control enabled in your AirPort Express settings.) The issue isn't iTunes, it's that OS X doesn't pass the instruction for volume control to iTunes, but handles it itself by adjusting your system volume, which has no affect on your AirPort Express.

(The same goes when you use the RCA cables, I might add. You can't control iTunes volume with the remote, only the system volume.)

Feb 2, 2008 4:07 PM in response to James Sepe

I came across a fix using a little program called Bytecontroller: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/15170 . It's designed to control itunes from the menubar.

In its preferences you can set hotkeys. Set F4 (i.e., Fn+F4, remember "volume down" is the default, you have the hold Fn to get the F4 key) to be decrease, and F5 to be increase volume. Newer keyboards have different locations for volume up and down, I believe.

To control Airtunes speakers, you then just hit Fn+F4 or Fn+F5. Hitting F4 or F5 without holding Fn still controls the system volume. You don't even have to alt-tab to itunes, it works from whatever program has the focus.

Hope this helps - I'm happy with it.

~Ste

airtunes, frontrow and volume

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.