Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing a library on a network drive bug

Anyone tried holding down Option (Alt) while opening up iPhoto & then trying to select a library that you have stored on a network drive?? The iPhoto library on the drive is grayed out. Only way I see to do it is you have to psychically attached the drive to your Mac & then select it. After that, you can put the drive back on the network & iPhoto will remember where it is if you just open it the regular way without holding Option.

Kinda blows if you switch between an internal library & a networked library a lot. Mmmm, bugs. Gotta love 'em!

null

MacBook 1.83GHz Core Duo w/ 802.11n, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Aug 18, 2007 12:19 PM

5 replies

Aug 23, 2007 7:33 AM in response to Community User

A little investigating only made the problem more interesting. I created a new library over the network and it was accessible! I assumed it was a permission issue. I changed permission of all my libraries and it didn't help. Thought I should re-log on the volume. After re-logging on I didn't have access to any libraries, not even the one I had created that was accessible previously via holding down the option while booting iPhoto. Just for kicks and grins in the Finder I double click on library I created over the network and it opens! Great, I quickly double click on the next library to see if it'll open and no luck, it stays gray?

The permissions are the same and yet a library created over the network can be awakened by double clicking in the Finder but previously converted libraries can't?

Sep 4, 2007 6:11 PM in response to Jerry Z.

I just found this post and it proved correct, the library becomes available

+*Give this a try. Next time you navigate to the library and find it 'grayed out,' click on any other folder in the window sidebar and then re-navigate to the desired library. The second time you may find that the iPhoto icon is no longer grayed out and will open.*+

+*This is a pesky bug we've been dealing with since the iPhoto 7 update. Fortunately, I've not yet had a situation where the iPhoto library remained grayed out after using this re-navigation work around.*+

Accessing a library on a network drive bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.