Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootable drive

I have an internal 120 GB drive which is full. I have 3 external hard drives (750 GB, 300 GB, and 160 GB). I just bought a Maxtor ATA/100 500 GB Internal Hard Drive which I want to make my bootable drive.
I carbon cloned the 120 GB bootable hard drive to the 500 GB hard drive but when I went to System Preferences startup disk and made it my bootable drive, it still booted up with my old 120 GB drive. I then changed the location and put my 500 GB drive at the 120 GB hard drive location and that did not work.
I then tried to reboot with the 120 GB disconnected and the computer did not reboot.

1. What can I do to make the 500 GB hard drive bootable?
2. Do you have to move the main hard drive to a certain location to make it the primary hard drive when you open up the finder section or just make it bootable?
3. Is there a problem using such a large hard drive in my G4?
4. Parallel with Serial ATA?

Thanks for the help in advance.

G4 2GB DRAM, Mac OS X (10.4.10), ATA/100 500 GB drive

Posted on Aug 19, 2007 10:07 AM

3 replies

Dec 22, 2007 5:26 PM in response to Rajiv Jauhar

Better late then never, for anyone else FYI, this is what i've found,

1. Format ANY brand new HDD into- Mac OS Extended (journaled), only takes a few moments. Go to the manufacturer of the hardrive to get the pin settings of your drive if it didn't come with instructions.

2. Kinda sorta. The drive that you are going to be Booted into and used the most should be on the end of the cable. Pinned as Master or cable select. From what i understand the computer will poll that one first for a start up disk,etc. The other one, bootable or not, is on the middle connector. Pinned as slave or cable select, both drives will be bootable from either connection, but both drives should be cable select if you need it that way. There's only a couple G-4's that use the cable select, I don't need it on my 450 AGP or 533 DA. On the smaller HDD's it probably doesn't really make a difference but on the larger ones it might be noticable as far as access time.

3. Yes. On the early G-4's they can only see 128 gigs. It's hardware. You will have to buy a PCI card for the larger drives. Or, there is an aftermarket software work around to get it to read the larger ones if your short on PCI slots. www.speedtools.com. It's about the same price as the PCI card. Make sure the PCI card is bootable tho if you want to boot from it, some of the older cards couldn't. Pretty much ALL the newer External drive housings can read the larger drives but if you use them as a boot drive remember to UNcheck the "put hard drives to sleep when possible" box in your Energy Saver Preferences. You probably shouldn't have the computer sleep also, my kids 533 computer get's half way awake when it wakes up from sleep with it's booted from the Firewire drive and can't do any thing else. I'm guessing the computer gave up looking for the active boot drive before the Extenal has a chance to spin up?

4. Depends on what you use you're computer for. For every day use you would probably not even notice the defference. If you get a Ultra ATA with a big cache, 16 'ish, it will be pretty close to the early SATA's. But you will still need a SATA PCI card to use SATA drives. I think they do make an ATA / SATA card. One channel each. If you use any PRO Graphic Software's, movie editing and the like, that do a lot of tranferring of files to or from your disk or a separate scratch disk you will probably see a difference.

Bootable drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.