Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a Multilingual Support for Tiger?

I am just about to buy a new MacBook. I live in Ireland and I am Greek so I would love my menus and Applications to be in Greek.

Nevertheless a ordering a new MacBook from the Greek Store will cost me about 500€ more (I am a student and I qualify for discount in Ireland + a higher VAT in greek products + shipping) so I was wondering if there is a chance for me to switch the Irish purchased MacBook with its English OS to Greek.

Thanx!

None..Yet!, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 19, 2007 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 19, 2007 11:42 AM

Yes OS X supports language and keyboard localizations. However, Macs will have keyboards that are specific to the country in which they are sold. If you buy a Mac in Ireland it will have a UK-specific keyboard.

I suggest you visit an Apple retailer and have this demonstrated for you so you can decide if it will work to your satisfaction.

I would also check your customs requirements for bringing the item back to Greece. You may still have to pay import duties and taxes that would make it less feasible to purchase in Ireland.
8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 19, 2007 11:42 AM in response to BSpiros

Yes OS X supports language and keyboard localizations. However, Macs will have keyboards that are specific to the country in which they are sold. If you buy a Mac in Ireland it will have a UK-specific keyboard.

I suggest you visit an Apple retailer and have this demonstrated for you so you can decide if it will work to your satisfaction.

I would also check your customs requirements for bringing the item back to Greece. You may still have to pay import duties and taxes that would make it less feasible to purchase in Ireland.

Aug 21, 2007 7:38 AM in response to Kappy

I don' mind the keyboard, I know the corresponding letters. Ireland and Greece are both in the EU so no custom problems...

The thing is what would I have to do? If I visited a shop would they install it for me? Do I have to download a patch or something from somewhere? Or just change a setting? Would I have to buy a whole new copy of Tiger OS (or Leopard) in Greek?

Has anyone attempted to do something similar...?

Aug 21, 2007 9:22 AM in response to BSpiros

I really couldn't say, I don't know. I don't know if it's possible to get the keyboard changed, but if you could it probably wouldn't be covered under the warranty.

Basic localization just requires that you select the desired language when you install OS X. So all you should have to do is reinstall OS X and select Greek as the desired language. The International preferences can be used to make other changes such as number, date, and time formats and choice of keyboard localization.

Aug 21, 2007 5:43 PM in response to BSpiros

From what I could tell, there is basic support in the OS, but very few applications are localized. Greek is in the list of languages you can select from the International preference pane, but I couldn't find many hits when I googled for Greek localized software. You don't have to reload the OS, just add Greek to the Language list in the International prefs. However, I think you have to use that patch on the site I linked to get the Finder into Greek.

Other software can be localized into any language if it was designed to be localized in the first place. It just takes some time to translate all of the strings.

Aug 22, 2007 8:05 AM in response to BSpiros

Just to be clear about Tiger's official localizations, they are listed in the tech specs:

http://www.apple.com/macosx/techspecs/

In addition, the Tiger that comes with Intel Macs has Russian.

A Greek add-on is only available via Rainbow and 3rd party patches. Whether Leopard includes Greek localization I don't know. The new iLife 08 adds Polish and Russian (but not Greek) to the normal 15 localizations of Apple apps, and I suspect that may be the case with Leopard.

http://m10lmac.blogspot.com/2007/08/ilife-08-adds-new-localizations-iwork.html

Is there a Multilingual Support for Tiger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.