Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

put in my sim card now phone locked

Hi I put my old sim card in then took it out, now my phone won't work keeps tell me no sim card installed, wont let me call or recived , one window said reinstall?? what is the fix just want i back to way it was before i messed with it thanks

noc, Windows XP

Posted on Aug 19, 2007 10:10 PM

13 replies

Aug 19, 2007 10:16 PM in response to staffo

Old SIM? What old SIM? The iPhone came with it's own SIM card. It was designed to place your iPhone SIM on another phone...but NOT the other way around. You need to put the SIM you activated the iPhone with and see what it does... Was something wrong with its "original SIM" that you felt you had to remove it? Or were you just curious and now you may be paying the consequences?

Aug 19, 2007 11:15 PM in response to mikeab

I was not in any form insulting or making fun! I was simply asking questions to BETTER understand their issue. The laugh I was having was with another fellow poster, which the comment..had NOTHING to do with the OP question. So with that said, which I don't feel I need to explain myself to either of you.... If it came off that way, then we must be learning from the master of redicules. (mikeab) I've read most of your posts and you sound more sarcastic than helpful. Please "practice" what you "preach"!!!

Aug 20, 2007 1:01 AM in response to bnbzone

I agree that there are enough issues that people should not be tinkering with the phone but to get in to a discussion about Lego was a little bit different than telling them they should not be tinkering with the iPhone.

There was no reason for the poster to be playing with the SIM card. If the iPhone worked why tinker with the SIM?

mikeab 🙂

Aug 20, 2007 1:30 AM in response to bnbzone

Actually, when a user buys an iPhone, regardless of whatever gripes about the locks that AT&T and Apple have placed on it, the device is the property of the user. You don't even know if he meant to "tinker" with his iPhone other than what was only stated... that the guy placed an older SIM card into the phone and when attempting to undo it, ran into problems.

On the other hand, +when you go and advise him to *play with Legos*...+ ESPECIALLY when the guy is a new poster ... I mean, c'mon... that's just not right, and for iPhonechik to share a laugh with you, fine, but again... the guy is looking for a solution, and neither of you obviously gave him any more than a taunt. Maybe staffo here doesn't know any better that the iPhone is SIM-locked, so whatever, he didn't know.

This is a user-to-user forum. Read the ToS carefully. You and her want to have a laugh at his expense, that's fine. But users are expected to post on this forum to offer real solutions to other user's problems. At least mikeab shares a chuckle +along with+ a helpful word to his posters most of the time...

Now on with the show:

staffo, try replacing your iPhone's included SIM back into its tray, then dock it with iTunes. When iTunes comes up, select your iPhone device on the left side, and in the Summary tab, click the "Restore" button to restore it back to the original factory settings. If you have synced the phone before, then the restore will also sync up your old information. Update us on what happens, and welcome to the Apple discussion boards. =)

Aug 20, 2007 6:58 AM in response to bnbzone

Not everyone knows that the only sim cards that will work are the ones that come with the iphone. The user could have thought, well I will put in my old sim card to transfer contacts over like you can do on nearly every other gsm phone, but as he quickly found out that is not the case with the iphone. You should be able to do that, at least with another ATT sim card, it is lame the iphone won't use the sim card to store that stuff.

Aug 20, 2007 10:39 PM in response to Randy Fast

*> Randy Fast wrote:*
*> Not everyone knows that the only sim cards that will work are the ones that come with the iphone. The user could have thought, well I will put in my old sim card to transfer contacts over like you can do on nearly every other gsm phone, but as he quickly found out that is not the case with the iphone. You should be able to do that, at least with another ATT sim card, it is lame the iphone won't use the sim card to store that stuff.*

That's why there is a User Guide provided to advise you on what to do. One of the things it's specific about is the "Sync your CONTACTS" with your iTunes. Everything is done throught iTunes..contacts, pics, etc. The iPhone is GSM because that's the network at&t uses primarly. The iPhone was designed very different from any other phone. It was stressed time and time again. So NO, I don't believe it's lame... they didn't make a 4GB and 8GB phone to store "stuff" on a SIM card.

put in my sim card now phone locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.