Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dial string is too limited

This bug is particularly foolish and DANGEROUS, and since AT&T is the service provider with a 5-year exclusive agreement, there is no excuse for not fixing this.

In Dallas, Texas, you have to dial a total of 35 digits to activate your call forwarding remotely. Plus, you have to insert a total of 22 pause commas to time the dialing correctly. That makes a total dial string of 57 characters.

This is not about convenience. This is about DRIVING SAFETY. With my Treo 600 handset, I could press one speed dial number and then just listen until the end of the sequence keeping 2 hands on the wheel the entire time until all I had to do was pick up the phone momentarily and press 1 to confirm it.

With the iPhone, I have to do the whole thing manually because the iPhone has a limit to the number of digits that can be entered into the phone as a dialing string. What makes it worse is that phones with tangible buttons have a little raised spot on the 5 button, so you can feel your way to the right numbers. With the iPhone, you have to really tap accurately or you get a wrong number. One wrong number in a string of 35 numerals is hard to avoid, so you really have to pull off the road to do this because there isn't enough time to do it at a red light. Maybe if you were approaching the Lincoln Tunnel in rush hour in NYC .... but I digress.

When I lived in New Jersey, I didn't have to dial 57 digits and maybe in other places, 57 digits isn't necessary. But here in Dallas, TX, that's the way it is. Very often, I leave the office without turning on call forwarding so that my assistant can handle the phone in my absence. But when she goes to lunch or leaves for the day, I want to be able to turn it on remotely, especially if she forgets.

You would think that with AT&T as a service partner, this would be something the two companies could manage to do.

Message was edited by: Dennis_Burnham

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), DRIVING SAFETY MAKES THIS URGENT!!!

Posted on Aug 20, 2007 7:53 AM

4 replies

Aug 20, 2007 8:02 AM in response to Dennis_Burnham

While I agree that the procedure sounds tedious and inconvenient, if you are TRULY worried about driving safely, to be a conscientious and safe driver, you should just pull over and take 1 minute out of your day to do whatever on your phone, whether it is having to dial 57 different numbers, or to even occasionally press "1."

Message was edited by: MMulhern

Aug 20, 2007 8:00 AM in response to Dennis_Burnham

Dennis_Burnham wrote:

In Dallas, Texas, you have to dial a total of 35 digits to activate your call forwarding remotely. Plus, you have to insert a total of 22 pause commas to time the dialing correctly. That makes a total dial string of 57 characters.

This is not about convenience. This is about DRIVING SAFETY. With my Treo 600 handset, I could press one speed dial number and then just listen until the end of the sequence keeping 2 hands on the wheel the entire time until all I had to do was pick up the phone momentarily and press 1 to confirm it.

This is a very unusual situation. If it is very important you should return the iPhone and get a Treo 680. Or remember to switch your forwarding before you get in the car.

Dial string is too limited

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.