4 Replies Latest reply: Aug 20, 2007 5:56 PM by RonAnnArbor
Dennis_Burnham Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
This bug is particularly foolish and DANGEROUS, and since AT&T is the service provider with a 5-year exclusive agreement, there is no excuse for not fixing this.

In Dallas, Texas, you have to dial a total of 35 digits to activate your call forwarding remotely. Plus, you have to insert a total of 22 pause commas to time the dialing correctly. That makes a total dial string of 57 characters.

This is not about convenience. This is about DRIVING SAFETY. With my Treo 600 handset, I could press one speed dial number and then just listen until the end of the sequence keeping 2 hands on the wheel the entire time until all I had to do was pick up the phone momentarily and press 1 to confirm it.

With the iPhone, I have to do the whole thing manually because the iPhone has a limit to the number of digits that can be entered into the phone as a dialing string. What makes it worse is that phones with tangible buttons have a little raised spot on the 5 button, so you can feel your way to the right numbers. With the iPhone, you have to really tap accurately or you get a wrong number. One wrong number in a string of 35 numerals is hard to avoid, so you really have to pull off the road to do this because there isn't enough time to do it at a red light. Maybe if you were approaching the Lincoln Tunnel in rush hour in NYC .... but I digress.

When I lived in New Jersey, I didn't have to dial 57 digits and maybe in other places, 57 digits isn't necessary. But here in Dallas, TX, that's the way it is. Very often, I leave the office without turning on call forwarding so that my assistant can handle the phone in my absence. But when she goes to lunch or leaves for the day, I want to be able to turn it on remotely, especially if she forgets.

You would think that with AT&T as a service partner, this would be something the two companies could manage to do.

Message was edited by: Dennis_Burnham

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), DRIVING SAFETY MAKES THIS URGENT!!!
  • MMulhern Level 2 Level 2 (215 points)
    While I agree that the procedure sounds tedious and inconvenient, if you are TRULY worried about driving safely, to be a conscientious and safe driver, you should just pull over and take 1 minute out of your day to do whatever on your phone, whether it is having to dial 57 different numbers, or to even occasionally press "1."

Message was edited by: MMulhern
  • Lawrence Finch Level 7 Level 7 (31,445 points)
    Dennis_Burnham wrote:

In Dallas, Texas, you have to dial a total of 35 digits to activate your call forwarding remotely. Plus, you have to insert a total of 22 pause commas to time the dialing correctly. That makes a total dial string of 57 characters.

This is not about convenience. This is about DRIVING SAFETY. With my Treo 600 handset, I could press one speed dial number and then just listen until the end of the sequence keeping 2 hands on the wheel the entire time until all I had to do was pick up the phone momentarily and press 1 to confirm it.

This is a very unusual situation. If it is very important you should return the iPhone and get a Treo 680. Or remember to switch your forwarding before you get in the car.
  • RonAnnArbor Level 4 Level 4 (2,705 points)
    I would also state that taking care of setting your call forwarding before getting into your car is the way to go, not while driving - and that would be the same advise with a Treo, a Razr, or anything else.
  • bnbzone Level 2 Level 2 (405 points)
    why can you not just use your phone and go

options ----> phone ----> call fowarding to foward your phone to your assistants number...

Is this not simple enough?