Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook and SBC 2WIRE Problems

Hey APPLE what's up! There is a known problem with the new MacBook and connecting to the SBC 2wire WIFI modem. All my iMac's (3 units) and my windows PC work fine on the 2wire modem. BUT NOT MY BRAND NEW MacBook! I spent hours with SBC on the phone, and nothing is wrong with the wireless modem. I went twice to the Apple store Genius Bar and the 2nd time they told me Airport has a known problem with 2wire. Did I just through $1200.00 out the window on my New MacBook? Or, is there a fix out there?

Help...

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 20, 2007 8:21 PM

7 replies

Aug 20, 2007 8:33 PM in response to Bozlow1@mac.com

Get another modem that is compatible. You should search the forums for other discussions on the topic since a number of posters are using 2Wire modems. Perhaps you'll find a solution. You might consider installing the latest Airport software update. Perhaps it fixes the problem.

It would also be helpful to provide us with more information on exactly what the problem is. Simply blaming Apple and saying it doesn't work is less than useful.

Aug 21, 2007 1:23 AM in response to Kappy

Oh sure! That's the answer. Just go out and buy one that's compatible instead of fixing the problem. In fact, I have a better idea! Lets buy the one from apple that costs $150 some odd dollars. Why should we have to? We paid over $1K for the computer and you are telling this man to go out and buy a modem that's more compatible. Are you insane?

Hey. I know. Lets go find another work around to make this POS work!?!

Message was edited by: macbookanonymous

Aug 21, 2007 7:22 AM in response to Bozlow1@mac.com

i had exactly the same problems getting WIFI connections on my 2wire modem since getting my new macbook last week. thankfully, it's been since resolved. the problem appeared to be the 64-bit WEP password which is not compatible with the new mac 10.4.10 OS. u'll need to contact your singnet administrator to change your password to a WEP-128Hex password that has 25 characters instead of 10. that will automatically solve your headache!

happy surfing! : )

Aug 21, 2007 7:22 AM in response to Bozlow1@mac.com

i had exactly the same problems getting WIFI connections on my 2wire modem since getting my new macbook last week. thankfully, it's been since resolved. the problem appeared to be the 64-bit WEP password which is not compatible with the new mac 10.4.10 OS. u'll need to contact your singnet administrator to change your password to a WEP-128Hex password that has 25 characters instead of 10. that will automatically solve your headache!

Aug 21, 2007 7:23 AM in response to Bozlow1@mac.com

Aug 21, 2007 1:26 PM in response to Bozlow1@mac.com

I am using a MacBook with a ATT 2Wire Modem. The connection is so so it works sometimes but I am using WPA and WPA2. I am having severe wifi problems because of the 10.4.10 update. I had a SBC 2wire Modem But the power adapter fried. Try rebooting the modem that fixes stuff most of the time for me. Also try using the WPA WEP works but the security isn't enough for me. Good Luck.

MacBook and SBC 2WIRE Problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.