Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SATA External drives and G4 iBook

Hi, this is my first post!

I have some probably really silly questions, but I just can't find the answers by googling, so please bear with me 🙂

I have a 12" 1.33GHz iBook G4 last PPC model and a Mac Mini 1.5GHz again, last PPC model.

I'd like to get some external hard drives for them. I know they'll take IDE (PATA) drives, but these are getting to be rare and expensive(!) as SATA drives take over. Here are my questions:

1) Will a SATA external drive work with my PPC G4 gear?
2) Do I need to buy a special enclosure for the SATA/SATAII drives that is different from the regular FW/USB IDE enclosures?
3) Can I connect the SATA enclosure to my PPC iBook and PPC Mac Mini with just regular FW or USB or do I need some kind of adapter? For example, I see this Addonics USB 2.0 to eSATA adapter:

http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

but I don't know if that's just for SATA enclosures that have the special eSATA plug or is it relevant if all I want is to connect through FW or USB?

Thank you for your answers!

12" iBook 1.33GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Mac Mini 1.5GHz G4 SD

Posted on Aug 20, 2007 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 21, 2007 6:14 AM

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

Not directly.

2) Do I need to buy a special enclosure for the SATA/SATAII drives that is different from the regular FW/USB IDE enclosures?

Yes. Both http://www.macsales.com/ and http://www.cooldrives.com/ offer those special enclosures and have some that support both Firewire and USB. PowerPC will only boot off Firewire reliably into Mac OS X. There are exceptions, but they involve a firmware hack which may permanently disable your machine.

3) Can I connect the SATA enclosure to my PPC iBook and PPC Mac Mini with just regular FW or USB or do I need some kind of adapter? For example, I see this Addonics USB 2.0 to eSATA adapter: http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

That should work with SATA enclosure drives that have their own power and have no USB connector. Mind you, that won't be as fast as an Express/34, PCI, or PCMCIA SATA adapter which the iBook and Mac Mini can't support.
6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 21, 2007 6:14 AM in response to FineCorpse

Welcome to Apple Discussions!

Not directly.

Yes. Both http://www.macsales.com/ and http://www.cooldrives.com/ offer those special enclosures and have some that support both Firewire and USB. PowerPC will only boot off Firewire reliably into Mac OS X. There are exceptions, but they involve a firmware hack which may permanently disable your machine.

3) Can I connect the SATA enclosure to my PPC iBook and PPC Mac Mini with just regular FW or USB or do I need some kind of adapter? For example, I see this Addonics USB 2.0 to eSATA adapter: http://www.addonics.com/products/io/aau2esa.asp

That should work with SATA enclosure drives that have their own power and have no USB connector. Mind you, that won't be as fast as an Express/34, PCI, or PCMCIA SATA adapter which the iBook and Mac Mini can't support.

Aug 21, 2007 11:15 AM in response to a brody

Thank you for that link.

Here's what I mean by "they get you":

the enclosure you linked to is $58.98 after discount. The shipping is $14.45 for a total of $74.43.

For comparison here's a link to an IDE Firewire and USB 2.0 enclosure:

http://store.4linkcomm.com/gax-3506c.html

Found it on dealmac.com - total price $24.00 with FREE shipping.

FURTHERMORE, if I am not mistaken, the Cooldrive drive you linked to has only one FW port, whereas the Galaxy Metal Gearbox I linked to has 2 FW ports - this means I can daisy chain the Galaxy, whereas I cannot do the same with the Cooldrive drive. For my needs, the Galaxy is the better product, quite apart from price, purely on technical merits (obviously, for someone who uses SATA drives in a SATA enabled computer, the opinion may be different).

Now, regarding cost, this is a $50 difference. I have found SATA hard drives to be cheaper than IDE drives, and more available. However, once you factor in the $50 difference in price the SATA package becomes VASTLY more expensive. After all, you can get a whole 400GB IDE drive for $70 - so $50 is not a trivial expense (and the 400GB is a late model Seagate 7200RPM with a 16MB cache).

So, how do they "get you" on the SATA FW enclosures? Well, the way they get you is that I can buy 3 IDE FW drives (which I can also daisychain) for only ONE SATA FW (which I cannot daisychain) - and still have money left over ($24x3=$72).

Again, I have searched for SATA enclosures with FW, and have found them to be extremely expensive - of course, it's possible that cheaper ones exist and I simply have not found them.

Before I posted my question, I did a search of the forum, the fora on other mac oriented sites, and a general google search - and frankly, I was surprised this exact topic (i.e. OEM SATA drives + enclosures hooked to G4 machines) hasn't really come up (there's a lot about internal SATA drives)... you'd think it would be a hot topic 🙂... BWDIK.

Aug 22, 2007 5:58 AM in response to FineCorpse

The quality of that drive is suspect. Many Firewire hard drives have no firmware update, and may not survive an update without wiping out your data. You get what you pay for.

Daisy chaining is overrated. I've had issues with daisy chaining for anything other than backing up one to another. For that I use images if I have to use that case.

You get what you pay for still. Most Firewire hard drive cases of any decent quality such as Granite Digital are $80 and up.

Aug 22, 2007 8:37 AM in response to a brody

You are right, in that not all enclosures are made equal. For example, there are even cheaper FW+USB IDE enclosures, which I didn't mention, precisely because they can be suspect, f.ex. the Ultra for $19.99 - it has a Prolific chipset which sometimes gives you problems if you try to boot from it.

However, the Galaxy drive that I mentioned, is a solid enclosure - I have 3 of them, and have had them for a bit over 2 years now, working flawlessly. In general, the Metal Gear Box enclosures have a good reputation (as user feedback), so it's not just my anecdotal experience. The vast majority of users who put together their own HDD+enclosure solutions don't spend as much or more for the enclosure as for the HDD, and most of them have no problems. I think therefore that it's not necessary to pay $80 for an enclosure to get good quality - no doubt, some of the $80-and-up enclosures have features not found on the cheaper enclosures, but it's not a linear relationship (f.ex. the poor quality Ultra actually has a fan, while some expensive enclosures have poor user ratings). What is salient however, is that while IDE FW enclosures offer a range of price points, SATA FW enclosures do not, and I doubt it's because all the (expensive) SATA FW enclosures are good quality... I hope in time their prices will come down. For now, ISTM, the IDE+ FWenclosure package offers a much better deal than the SATA+FW enclosure package.

I use daisy chaining when I need access to a lot of data, when editing, so to me, daisy chaining is quite valuable, but of course, needs differ for everybody.

I didn't know about firmware issues, thank you for that, I'll look into it.

And thank you for your guidance, it was very valuable!

SATA External drives and G4 iBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.