Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forcing keyboard identification?

The old incompatible driver supplied with a Macally IceKey keyboard seems to have broken keyboard identification on my Mac Pro (OS X 10.4.10). Since installing and uninstalling this driver, connecting a new keyboard no longer triggers the keyboard identification prompt and the button for activating the prompt manually in +System Preferences - Keyboard & Mouse+ is gone. Now when I connect a Windows keyboard (for example to work in Parallels) the prompt does not appear. As a result, the system thinks it is dealing with the wrong kind of keyboard. In particular, the < and > key (key directly to the right of the left shift key on the German keyboard layout I have to use) is not working -- instead of < and > it becomes a second key with the ° and ^ characters when working in Parallels. This makes editing XML and HTML just a little bit difficult. The original Apple keyboard works, but sometimes I need other keyboards for other purposes.

The engineers at Macally have confirmed the problem but they cannot or don't want to provide a fix. They just told me to return the keyboard for a refund. Apple support here in Germany was also unable to help (they told me to search for help on Google). I have confirmed that the broken keyboard identification is the problem on my new MacBook Pro, because there the same keyboards immediately trigger the keyboard identification routine and work fine under the same Parallels virtual machines.

So the question is: Is it possible to manually force keyboard identification, for example from the command line? Or is there any way to repair or reinstall the keyboard identification components without completely reinstalling OS X from scratch, which would be a huge undertaking at the moment because I have so much installed. I just don't have time for that and this problem is driving me nuts...

TIA,
Khoji

Message was edited by: Khojimac

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), MacBook Pro

Posted on Aug 22, 2007 2:35 AM

1 reply

Forcing keyboard identification?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.