Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where are program data files stored?

due to some drive issues I plan to wipe the drive clean and do a fresh/clean re-install of OSX. But first I have no idea where things would be stored so I can save them such as all my entries in Address Book, email's in Mail, Folders and email's in those folders, website bookmarks in Safari and Firefox, FTP server entries in Secure FTP, and other apps I use.

Can someone help me before I go and do this?

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 3 Gigs RAM

Posted on Aug 23, 2007 4:07 AM

4 replies

Aug 23, 2007 4:38 AM in response to Scott24D

Just to add/expand on the information provided in the Apple Support document scb linked to:

It would be best to back up at least all your Home folder and the Home of any other Users. You can drag and drop the Home folder to backup. If you want to restore all, drag the folders from within Home (i.e. Documents, Movies, Music, Pictures, etc.) and overwrite the corresponding folders in the new system) But it's better to re-introduce as few preferences as possible if you don't know where the problem was.

Also, if you have a firewire hard drive you can backup your whole system to that and use the migration feature when you set up the new system. This could save you many steps.

Here is a list of where your important data is stored ("~" stands for "Home"):

Your data in ~/Documents

~/Library/Application Support/AddressBook (copy the whole folder)
~/Library/Application Support/iCal(copy the whole folder)
Also in ~/Library/Application Support (copy whatever else you need)

~ /Library/Keychains (copy the whole folder)
~/Library/Mail (copy the whole folder)
~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist * This is a very important file which contains all email account settings and general mail preferences.

~ /Library/iTunes (copy the whole folder)
~/Library/Application Support/Safari (copy the whole folder)
~/Library/Application Support/iMovie (copy the whole folder)
~/Pictures/iPhoto library
~/Music/iTunes
~/Movies/iMovie

If you want cookies:
~/Library/Cookies/Cookies.plist
~/Library/Application Support/Webfoundation/HTTPcookies.plist

For Entourage users:
Entourage is in Documents/Microsoft user data
Also in ~ /Library/Preferences/Microsoft

internet explorer favorites are in ~/Library/Preferences/Explorer/favorites.html

User uploaded file
-mj
macjack@gmail.com

Message was edited by: macjack

Where are program data files stored?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.