Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

converting to apple lossless? again??

When important music (wma) into iTunes, I have configured the settings to default the quality to Apple lossless? So why is the option to convert to Apple Lossless still available, and carried out if selected, on songs that already lossless? (right click to see option)

Laptop, Other OS

Posted on Aug 23, 2007 7:58 AM

3 replies

Aug 23, 2007 11:53 AM in response to Hamper

Hamper, since you refer to "songs that already lossless" I assume you are starting with WMA Lossless files? iTunes does not natively play WMA files of any kind. If the WMA is unprotected, iTunes creates a new version of the song in your indicated import preference, and adds that version to the library.

iTunes honors the preference you set in Edit > Preferences > Advanced > Importing. It does not care whether it is lossy or lossless. If you ask it to convert a 32 kbps mp3 to Apple Lossless, it will do so, although it of course cannot improve the audio quality in the process.

Sep 3, 2007 10:31 AM in response to ed2345

I don't know what you mean when you say a lossy format like WMA, the lossless setting means it is mathematically lossless. But I understand that the menu is not dependent on the files status (I think it should be as its obviously confusing). But its nice to know now that it means nothing.

Thanks

converting to apple lossless? again??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.