Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

screwed up renaming photos

over the past couple months, I've been attempting to rename photos in IPhoto form their original "P1043435556654"-type names to more appropriate ones. In doing so, I've discovered that I went about it all wrong. of the couple thousand pics in my catalog, I've "changed the name" of a couple hundred by going into the finder - photos - originals - roll number - then found each Jpg and simply renamed it.

What I've discovered is that doing so disconnects the big picture from it's thumbnail, so that any attempt to look at the "big" picture by clicking on the thumbnail fails - it can't find the "big" picture because the big one has a different name in the folder now.

Any thoughts on an efficient way to remedy this? My idea was simply to copy all of the renamed photos to a different location, then reimport them into Iphoto - but that would leave an awful lot of thumbnails etc...hanging around.

On a related note, is there an efficient method to rename photos?

Thanks.

Message was edited by: 7426k

ibook g4, Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Aug 23, 2007 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 23, 2007 9:11 AM

As far as renaming photos is concerned, the method I use is to create a folder with a File Rename script attached to it. You can set this up using Automator. When I've imported photos I select the ones I want to rename (I usually need to split the batch into several batches each with a different title) and drag to the file rename folder. I can then change the photos from img_04555.jpg, img_04556.jpg Etc Etc to my naming convention (i.e. client ID, job number, file number). I then trash the originals that should still be selected in iPhoto then drag and drop the new ones into iPhoto. I can then do a search on a specific client ID or job number and go straight to that batch.

I was hoping for a renamer function in the latest iPhoto (08) but all it does is edit the metadata but doesn't touch the actual filename itself.

Not sure how you would fix the mess created by actually renaming the files though, other than maybe dragging them all out of the myriad of folders in the iPhoto library and re-importing?
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 23, 2007 9:11 AM in response to 7426k

As far as renaming photos is concerned, the method I use is to create a folder with a File Rename script attached to it. You can set this up using Automator. When I've imported photos I select the ones I want to rename (I usually need to split the batch into several batches each with a different title) and drag to the file rename folder. I can then change the photos from img_04555.jpg, img_04556.jpg Etc Etc to my naming convention (i.e. client ID, job number, file number). I then trash the originals that should still be selected in iPhoto then drag and drop the new ones into iPhoto. I can then do a search on a specific client ID or job number and go straight to that batch.

I was hoping for a renamer function in the latest iPhoto (08) but all it does is edit the metadata but doesn't touch the actual filename itself.

Not sure how you would fix the mess created by actually renaming the files though, other than maybe dragging them all out of the myriad of folders in the iPhoto library and re-importing?

Aug 23, 2007 12:02 PM in response to 7426k

My idea was simply to copy all of the renamed photos to a different location, then reimport them into Iphoto - but that would leave an awful lot of thumbnails etc...hanging around.

Depending on how much of the library ha sbeen damaged, you might like to start over with a new fresh library:
To create and populate a new library:

Note this will give you a working library with the same film rolls and pictures as before, however, you will lose your albums, keywords, books, calendars etc.

Move the iPhoto Library Folder to the desktop

Launch iPhoto. It will ask if you wish to create a new Library. Say Yes.

Go into the iPhoto Library Folder on your desktop and find the Originals folder. From the Originals folder drag the individual rolls to the iPhoto Window and it will recreate them in the new library.

When you're sure all is well you can delete the iPhoto Library Folder on your desktop.

In the future, in addition to your usual back up routine, you might like to make a copy of the library6.iPhoto file whenever you have made changes to the library as protection against database corruption.

As you've learned: It is strongly advised that you do not move, change or in anyway alter things in the iPhoto Library Folder as this can cause the application to fail and even lead to data loss

Finally, to find pics: There are three ways (at least) to get files from the iPhoto Window.

1. Drag and Drop: Drag a photo from the iPhoto Window to the desktop, there iPhoto will make a full-sized copy of the pic.

2. File -> Export: Select the files in the iPhoto Window and go File -> Export. The dialogue will give you various options, including altering the format, naming the files and changing the size. Again, producing a copy.

3. Show File: Right- (or Control-) Click on a pic and in the resulting dialogue choose 'Show File'. A Finder window will pop open with the file already selected.

Rolls in the iPhoto Window (View -> Film Rolls) correspond exactly with the Roll Folders in the Originals Folder in the iPhoto Library Folder. You can move photos between Rolls, you can rename rolls, edit them, create them, as long as you do it via the iPhoto Window. Check out the Info Pane (wee 'i', lower left) the name and date fields are editable. Edit a Roll Name using the Info Pane, the Roll Folder in iPhoto Library Folder/Originals will also have the new name.

You can title pics in iPhoto and use that title as a Filename on export.

Regards

TD

Aug 23, 2007 12:29 PM in response to 7426k

My idea was simply to copy all of the renamed photos to a different location, then reimport them into Iphoto - but that would leave an awful lot of thumbnails etc...hanging around.

Drag those renamed photos out of the iPhoto Library/Originals folder to a location outside of the iPhoto Library folder - a Desktop folder is convenient. In iPhoto, drag the photos to the iPhoto Trash and empty it. This removes the thumbnails and modified versions, and deletes those photos from the database completely. Then you can import the photos from the Desktop folder.

Regards.

screwed up renaming photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.