1 Reply Latest reply: Aug 25, 2007 1:20 AM by Francine Schwieder
Ann-Marie Deets Level 1 Level 1 (5 points)
I have an excel file that I use/update every day. There was an icon for it on my dock, which I assumed was an alias for the original in my Documents. Today the dock icon had a "?" on it, and the file would not open. I tried dragging it to the excel application icon, but then it disappeared in the puff of smoke. To my dismay, when I opened the original from my Documents, it was last modified in January, meaning I've lost the work for the whole year if I can't find the one that was on the dock. Did I misunderstand, or aren't they supposed to be the same file?
Can someone save me???

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.8)
  • Francine Schwieder Level 6 Level 6 (19,040 points)
    The original document does not "go" in the Dock, just a pointer to it. If the original file is no longer where it was, say it got deleted somehow, then the next time you start the pointer will be replaced with a question mark. If you work with this in Excel, try launching it and look in the Recent items and see if you can locate it there.

And if you haven't started backing up your data regularly to another drive or to CDs, you now know why this is absolutely necessary.
    Francine

Francine
    Schwieder