Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

programs quitting because of kern invalid address

I have 2 programs FileMakerPro 8.5 and Printer Utility for Canon Pixma printer (that I know of so far) that crash because of

FileMakerPro....
Date/Time: 2007-08-25 16:43:22.519 -0400
OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
Report Version: 4

Command: FileMaker Pro
Path: /Applications/FileMaker Pro 8.5/FileMaker Pro.app/Contents/MacOS/FileMaker Pro
Parent: WindowServer [57]

Version: FileMaker Pro version 8.5v1 (8.5.1)

PID: 2160
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC BADACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN INVALIDADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbf7fffec

Canon....

Date/Time: 2007-08-25 16:42:24.375 -0400
OS Version: 10.4.10 (Build 8R218)
Report Version: 4

Command: BJPrinterUtility
Path: /Library/Printers/Canon/BJPrinter/Utilities/BJPrinterUtility.app/Contents/MacOS /BJPrinterUtility
Parent: WindowServer [57]

Version: 4.8.0 (4.8.0)
Build Version: 1
Project Name: BJPrinterUtility
Source Version: 1

PID: 2287
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC BADACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN INVALIDADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xbf7fffcc

... according the 'Report to Apple' window that pop up after the crashes!!!

Never used to have this problem.

Fitz

Dual 2.0 G5 & Twin 2.2 MBP, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Airport Extreme

Posted on Aug 25, 2007 1:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2007 3:18 PM

You've posted in the Apple iPod forum. No one here is likely to be capable of helping.
6 replies

Aug 29, 2007 5:50 AM in response to PhillyPhan

Dear Sir,

PhillyPhan was merely trying to tell you that you have posted in the wrong forum. Typically, no one in the iPod users forum can help with a memory address issue.

Now.....about your issue. The KERN INVALIDADDRESS error is a generic error that is followed by a specific memory address location. Although you might think it means your is RAM is damaged that is rarely the case. Think of it as a check engine light on your car. A check engine light does not mean the engine is trashed, but rather that a failure has occurred somewhere in the engine.

A KERN INVALIDADDRESS typically indicates corruption of system software. It normally is a file or group of files that are written to hundreds of times a day such as your preference files. Since your experiencing the issue with more than one application I would try the following. Go to your preference folder (located in USERS/PERSONAL FOLDER (This folder will be the same name as your user name)/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES. When you get to the preference folder copy the entire folder to your desktop. Now delete the contents of the preference folder (Leaving the copy you made to the desktop as a backup). Restart your machine. You will notice that a large portion of the pref files have been recreated. Now start the apps that were crashing.
If the problem is gone you have corrupted preference files. If not then the corruption is elsewhere in your system.
Make sure you go to the correct preference folder. There is more than one. If you are confused on what I mean by the term PERSONAL FOLDER here is an example. My user name on my Mac is Robert Price. So my preference files is located at USERS/ROBERT PRICE/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES.

If you would like you can email me directly after trying this and I can give assist you further.
My email address is robertprice@mac.com.

Robert

Aug 29, 2007 5:52 AM in response to William Fitzgerald1

Dear Sir,

PhillyPhan was merely trying to tell you that you have posted in the wrong forum. Typically, no one in the iPod users forum can help with a memory address issue.

Now.....about your issue. The KERN INVALIDADDRESS error is a generic error that is followed by a specific memory address location. Although you might think it means your is RAM is damaged that is rarely the case. Think of it as a check engine light on your car. A check engine light does not mean the engine is trashed, but rather that a failure has occurred somewhere in the engine.

A KERN INVALIDADDRESS typically indicates corruption of system software. It normally is a file or group of files that are written to hundreds of times a day such as your preference files. Since your experiencing the issue with more than one application I would try the following. Go to your preference folder (located in USERS/PERSONAL FOLDER (This folder will be the same name as your user name)/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES. When you get to the preference folder copy the entire folder to your desktop. Now delete the contents of the preference folder (Leaving the copy you made to the desktop as a backup). Restart your machine. You will notice that a large portion of the pref files have been recreated. Now start the apps that were crashing.
If the problem is gone you have corrupted preference files. If not then the corruption is elsewhere in your system.
Make sure you go to the correct preference folder. There is more than one. If you are confused on what I mean by the term PERSONAL FOLDER here is an example. My user name on my Mac is Robert Price. So my preference files is located at USERS/ROBERT PRICE/LIBRARY/PREFERENCES.

If you would like you can email me directly after trying this and I can give assist you further.
My email address is robertprice@mac.com.

Robert

Aug 29, 2007 11:40 AM in response to robsterling

Thank you very much, Rob. First of all, I thought I was in the G5 forum. I searched said forum for a solution already posted, with no luck, before asking my question. I have since spent 2 hours on the phone with Apple and could not find a solution short of doing an Archive and Install. Right now everything that was giving me a problem is working. If I have another problem in this area I will use your solution. I have printed it and have it in a file for future reference.

Fitz

programs quitting because of kern invalid address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.