Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transparent Proxy with Squid - Setup Guide

I found this description at http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=661489#661489
but I could not understand the description. Hope that someone can help me. Thanks
-----------

I downloaded squidv2.5stable12.tar.gz and expanded it. Now there are many files inside the folder "squidv2.5stable12"
I could not understand at step 3 "Configure (eg: ./configure --prefix=/opt/squid)".
Could you please explain clearly at this step? Thanks

Steps:
+SQUID Configuration.+
+1. Download http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/squid-2.5.STABLE12.tar.gz+
+2. Expand+
+3. Configure (eg: ./configure --prefix=/opt/squid)+
+4. Make install+
+5. Edit squid.conf and include the following at the bottom of the squid.conf+
----------------------------------

Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 29, 2007 5:20 AM

3 replies

Aug 29, 2007 10:28 AM in response to ng Tri

I could not understand at step 3 "Configure (eg: ./configure --prefix=/opt/squid)".
Could you please explain clearly at this step? Thanks

What you've downloaded is the source code for the Squid proxy.
Due to the large number of systems it can run on, and the open-source nature of the program, Squid is distributed in source code form, letting anyone compile it for their own machine.

That said, each OS is different, and there's no way that the authors can predict every target system so the source is shipped with a script that customizes the build process for your machine - that's what the configure script does. You pass configure a list of specific customizations you want to make (e.g. where to install it), and it builds a custom make script with all the various elements. If you just run ./configure without any parameters it will use the default settings which may well be valid (or may not).

Ultimately (step 4 on your check list) you invoke make which takes that configure output and runs the compiler to compile the source code to your machine's configuration, ultimately (hopefully) building a runnable process for your machine.

Aug 29, 2007 11:37 AM in response to ng Tri

Sorry!! what kind of tools can I use to pass "./configure"? Is it Terminal?
Can I put the whole folder under /etc/local/squid/ and then do "./configure"?
I don`t have C program for Mac OS Server 10.4.10 to compile the source code to machine`s configuration. Can I use other inbuild tools of Mac to compile the source code?
------------------
I think that you have got Squid to work as proxy server. You could know much about Squid. Alright,now I use Mac proxy to block some unuseful sites for all users, but the users can access those blocked sites through the by pass site, called http://www.ibypass.com
I am not sure that Squid can solve the problem.

Thanks for your help

Message was edited by: ng Tri

Aug 31, 2007 1:20 AM in response to ng Tri

Sorry!! what kind of tools can I use to pass "./configure"? Is it Terminal?

Yes, you can use Terminal.app, although you're also going to need to know some other basic command line tools such as cd to move around directories.

Can I put the whole folder under /etc/local/squid/ and then do "./configure"?

Typically not. You don't need the source code once the app is compiled and running. Typically people download the source somewhere temporary (e.g. /var/tmp) and compile it there. You've already seen the example of how to configure the build so that the final application is stored in a specific directory (--prefix=/usr/local/squid).

So you download to some temp dir, compile it with hints as to where you want to install it, install it at that location, then throw away the source (or keep it - your choice).

I don`t have C program for Mac OS Server 10.4.10 to compile the source code to machine`s configuration. Can I use other inbuild tools of Mac to compile the source code?

You have a complete development environment (including compilers) on your Install DVDs, or you can download a set from http://developer.apple.com/

Transparent Proxy with Squid - Setup Guide

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.