Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Bugs, Shortcomings...

It's a great phone but the following need immediate attention to make it excellent:

General:
- 'Slide to Unlock' should default to the main application UI (same as hitting the home button)

Mail:
- when in 'manual check' mode, the phone should not check the mail automatically when the user is reading the mail. it needs a 'check mail' button in all modes
- when the network is slow, all other applications are blocked - m aty be an OS issue

Phone:
- UI needs to default to the phone pad when invoked, rather than the last used screen

Calculator
_ needs scientific and financial calc modes

iPod:
- needs to support all iPod accesories - including Nike+

Map
- needs to be able to access Bluetooth GPS receivers from all manufactures - would then be a simple execersie to plot the position on map, every 5 secs!

MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, iPhone, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Aug 30, 2007 12:06 PM

10 replies

Aug 30, 2007 12:42 PM in response to PMAK

If you are intending your comments for Apple, submit them as feedback.

If you are intending that they be true for everyone... they are not true for me. When I unlock, I want the last app that I was using. In phone, I want the contact that I was checking, not the keypad.... rarely do I actually use the keypad, defaulting instead to the phone number listed in the contacts.

I have mine set to manually check mail, thus I expect it to check when I open mail.

Your comments are valid for you but not for everyone. For me, the iPhone works like a mac, and that is why I bought an iPhone.

Aug 30, 2007 4:44 PM in response to Racer83L

it doesn't work like a mac or it would work flawlessly like a mac. It would give options like a mac, you would have a choice on how your iphone would operate like a mac. The iphone has a one setting default design which is sleek and seemless but the flaws are the shortcomings. Shortcomings being for 1. not being too much off an international machine (can't use foriegn sims from another country). For the small business man like myself sacrifincing income is a burden. Always cautious about how I use my iphone to prevent seeing another $500 dollar bill.
2. Im an aircraft Engineer and I get called out to certain locations places like China and india. My company is based in California. My day time is the end of their afternoon getting imfo to them in a timely manner is essential. The problems I come across require pictures. Now dont get me wrong it take beautiful pix but I need tight shots for small writing or something up close wont get. that forces me to bring out the bulky digital camera load it into my powerbook internet hub to attatch it to email and Wifi is hard to come by out here. All those steps is time lost and penalties paid.
3.the market offers custom ring tones.
4.the market offers video capture
5.the market offers unrestriction

In some ways this is typical for apple to come out with products like this but I have faith that they will wake up and wont force me to buy a better one in the future.

Aug 30, 2007 5:43 PM in response to dismant

6.the frackin headphone. Why change industry standards?

Copied from this link.

http://www.iphonetopic.com/news/jack-not-name-jack-job.php

+So I was talking to Apple marketing VP Greg Joswiak today. (Boy, doesn't that sound chummy?) Anyway, Joz -- we call him Joz, those of us who can't ever remember his first name -- was telling me all about this iPhone battery nonsense. When we were done with that, I didn't forget about you guys, who wanted me to ask about the ****** recessed headphone jack that makes many headphones not plug into the iPhone without an adapter. "The jack is recessed in order to maintain the integrity of that design," Joswiak told me. I asked him what that meant -- if he meant that it needed to be that way to keep the structural integrity of the headphone jack intact, or if he meant the integrity of the pretty industrial design of the phone. The latter, he told me. *That if they had wanted the jack to not be recessed, the phone would have had to be thicker at that point, and they weren't willing to compromise the shape -- specifically the thinness -- of the design.*+

http://fury.com/article/2227.php

Aug 30, 2007 8:59 PM in response to Allan Sampson

Alan,

This is off the topic but you seem to know a lot more than me and you have helped me out before so here is my question regarding the iphone:

I recently had my iphone replaced by Apple. Prior to giving them my old phone, I erased everything using General>Reset>Erase All Content and Settings. When I got the new phone I re-synched my contacts, songs, pictures etc. and was surprized to see a deleted SMS conversation. Are these stored at AT&T, stored in itunes (but no way to see them), or stored on my sim? If you say sim though, note that the conversation never showed up while I used the replacement phone. It popped back after I re-synched the new phone.
This question has more to do with a privacy concern than anything else.
Thanks for any input.
Dave

Aug 31, 2007 3:41 AM in response to Daline

I would say don't worry about the geniouses taking your info. All stays with you. Anyone outside of at&t cant get ahold unless you count Big Brother (patriot act). Apples has been doing system tranfers for years and Ipod has perfected the whole they cant have what you left on it. Once hooked up to a new computer the only stuff they will or not enjoy is your media files which can only be heard or viewed on the unit. Non transferable unless he authorization matches your authorization. I made the pleasant mistake of buying a used ipod from Best Buy and eagerly tried to get the beautiful music off of it but it end up locking me out when I tried to deauthorize. I lost capibility to add songs so I restored everything and started from scratch.

If you didnt delete the deleted SMS after initial deletion then At&t hold until until you finally do. I think that is how it works.
Hope thats good information.

Whose conversation was it?

iPhone Bugs, Shortcomings...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.