Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Integrating Nord Lead 2X

Hello!

Long time listener, first time caller... Must be at my wits end.

Having become quite comfortable in the digital realm, I recently decided to pick up my first piece of hardware - a Nord Lead 2X. Here I am, feeling like I'm back at square 1, trying to get this thing linked up to Logic.

Would someone be so kind as to post a step-by-step, or point me to a thread here, or elsewhere? I've been trawling the forums for quite some time, but can't seem to get a straight forward answer. Seems to be 2 schools. One says record midi, bounce, then process. The other says, use the external plug and be able to process (hear plugs), but I'm not sure how that works. I guess I'm just coming from a place where I haven't used midi tracks for external instruments before.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Powerbook G4 1.25GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.9), Logic Pro 7.1 / M-Audio Firewire 410 / Nord Lead 2X

Posted on Aug 30, 2007 5:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 30, 2007 9:13 PM

Hi,

Here's a breakdown of how to set up an external synth with Logic.

1. Set up your synth with both MIDI in AND out cables. Label them.

2. Set up the Nords' audio outputs with the proper cables, and label them too. Put them aside, we'll get to them later.

3. Hook up your MIDI to any available port on your MIDI interface. This is where the MIDI is going to enter your computer.

4. Open your Macs Audio / Midi Setup utility, found inside the "Utilities" folder, inside your main Applications folder.

5. Create a NEW DEVICE, label it Nord 2x, and cable the virtual MIDI wires between the MIDI interface and your Nord2. This step is recreating what exists in the real world. So make sure you have this step correct. There is a "test" button for making sure the Nord is seen by the Mac. Leave this software Open for now, to test in a few minutes, in case you don't get sound in Logic.

6. Go to your Audio cables from step 2, and hook them up to your Audio interface, on any available inputs. Alternatively, you might have a mixer through which you feed audio into your computer, use some channels there, if this is the case, and route them to your audio interface inputs as desired. Double check this to ensure the audio can get into Logic properly.

7. Open Logic. Leave it at the default autoload song, and do a "save as" and name it "nord2x setup".

8. Go to your Environment page (apple+8 or Window / Environment), and create a New Layer. Label it "NORD2X LAYER".

9. In this Layer, create a New Multi-Instrument, and Label it "Nord2x". Make sure it's icon parameter is checked, so you can see it and select it as a track in the arrange page.

10. Enable as many MIDI channnels on this Multi-Instrument as you think you need. You do this by pressing on each channel, so it is pressed down, instead of having a line across it (disabled channel status). Choose a pretty red color for this new instrument, to reflect the Nord's redness...this is really important...

11. Go to your Arrange page, and create two new channels, one MIDI channel 1 of your Nord2x, and one Stereo audio track, set to the correct audio input channels where the Nord is hooked up.

12. Record-enable the MIDI channel, press shift and hold while you press on the audio track's record enable button to enable it as well, and play your Nord2x. You should see Midi action here now, and the audio as well.

16. If you do NOT get any MIDI activity, go back to your AMS( Audio Midi Setup) app, and press the "test" button. Do you get any sound? check your MIDI cables to ensure they are hookerd up correctly (MIDI out from nord2 to MIDI IN of interface, etc.)

17. If you See MIDI in Logic, but you do not hear sound in Logic, check your output assignments in the Nord2x, and make sure the volume is up too. Also, check to make sure you have selected the correct audio input channels on your audio track.

Cheers.

If you get stuck after this, take 5, and post here again later. Breathe deeply throughout this setup, and take your time.
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 30, 2007 9:13 PM in response to morganalex

Hi,

Here's a breakdown of how to set up an external synth with Logic.

1. Set up your synth with both MIDI in AND out cables. Label them.

2. Set up the Nords' audio outputs with the proper cables, and label them too. Put them aside, we'll get to them later.

3. Hook up your MIDI to any available port on your MIDI interface. This is where the MIDI is going to enter your computer.

4. Open your Macs Audio / Midi Setup utility, found inside the "Utilities" folder, inside your main Applications folder.

5. Create a NEW DEVICE, label it Nord 2x, and cable the virtual MIDI wires between the MIDI interface and your Nord2. This step is recreating what exists in the real world. So make sure you have this step correct. There is a "test" button for making sure the Nord is seen by the Mac. Leave this software Open for now, to test in a few minutes, in case you don't get sound in Logic.

6. Go to your Audio cables from step 2, and hook them up to your Audio interface, on any available inputs. Alternatively, you might have a mixer through which you feed audio into your computer, use some channels there, if this is the case, and route them to your audio interface inputs as desired. Double check this to ensure the audio can get into Logic properly.

7. Open Logic. Leave it at the default autoload song, and do a "save as" and name it "nord2x setup".

8. Go to your Environment page (apple+8 or Window / Environment), and create a New Layer. Label it "NORD2X LAYER".

9. In this Layer, create a New Multi-Instrument, and Label it "Nord2x". Make sure it's icon parameter is checked, so you can see it and select it as a track in the arrange page.

10. Enable as many MIDI channnels on this Multi-Instrument as you think you need. You do this by pressing on each channel, so it is pressed down, instead of having a line across it (disabled channel status). Choose a pretty red color for this new instrument, to reflect the Nord's redness...this is really important...

11. Go to your Arrange page, and create two new channels, one MIDI channel 1 of your Nord2x, and one Stereo audio track, set to the correct audio input channels where the Nord is hooked up.

12. Record-enable the MIDI channel, press shift and hold while you press on the audio track's record enable button to enable it as well, and play your Nord2x. You should see Midi action here now, and the audio as well.

16. If you do NOT get any MIDI activity, go back to your AMS( Audio Midi Setup) app, and press the "test" button. Do you get any sound? check your MIDI cables to ensure they are hookerd up correctly (MIDI out from nord2 to MIDI IN of interface, etc.)

17. If you See MIDI in Logic, but you do not hear sound in Logic, check your output assignments in the Nord2x, and make sure the volume is up too. Also, check to make sure you have selected the correct audio input channels on your audio track.

Cheers.

If you get stuck after this, take 5, and post here again later. Breathe deeply throughout this setup, and take your time.

Aug 30, 2007 10:08 PM in response to morganalex

This is one of the features I would like Apple to add in newer versions of Logic Pro. "AUTO DETECTION", just to avoid going to the environment. I know the program writers can figure out a way(kind of like rewire), so that the interface detects any midi devices and communicate with Logic so that it gives you the option to "create new hardware device", with just a couple of clicks.

P.S. I know I am being lazy avoiding trips to the environment, but: Isn't technology supposed to simplify things?

Aug 30, 2007 10:37 PM in response to morganalex

Up to step "10" everything is good, but from there things can be easier with logic pro 7.
do everything said up to step 10, then just go to the arrangement window and go to any Instrument channel as though you are about to open a regular AU instrument. select the "external Input" from the Logic Plug ins, then within the "external Instrument" plug in select from the destination your Nord Lead 2, and from the input select the input you have the nord lead 2 conected to on your Audio interface. Now you can play the nord in a more simple way, but remember you would need to bounce this.
Open as many midi parts of your Nord this way.

Aug 30, 2007 11:13 PM in response to noeqplease

Thanks so much for your detailed response. Sure is nice when someone takes the time to spell it out. What you said seems like it will work. Alas, my tinkering (before I read your post) seems to have led to bigger problems... Now nothing works as it used to. No more midi into Logic from the Nord or my Kontrol 49, and all sorts of other good stuff. Too fried to try anything more this evening, though... Will come back to it fresh tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again!

Sep 5, 2007 10:32 AM in response to noeqplease

Got it up and running. Thanks again. Now I just have to get used to the workflow of bouncing these parts and bringing them back in... There's certainly a case for soft synths! Hardware has my vote, though. The Nord patches I've made sound much better and were more intuitive to program (yay knobs!) than anything I've been able to program on the computer. Seems worth the extra effort.

Integrating Nord Lead 2X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.