Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smb error code -36 when attempting to mount smb server

Good morning.

I am attempting to connect to a smb share on a new iMac in our office. Whenever I try to connect to the server, it gives me the following error:

The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in "smb://DESIGN" could not be read or written.
(Error code -36)

now this smb server can and is reachable by 3 other Macs in the office as well as 6 PCs.

Can anyone help me figure out why this new iMac will not connect?

Thanks

Gordon

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10), brand new iPhoneish model

Posted on Aug 31, 2007 9:31 AM

4 replies

Sep 12, 2007 1:57 AM in response to Gordon K Werner

Hi, I just started getting this same error at work when I try to connect to a Windows server share. It was working fine one day from my MBP, and then bang it just stopped. The following message appears in my console:

"mount_smbfs: negotiate phase failed: syserr = Software caused connection abort"

I got the same error when I tried from a different account.

However, I can successfully mount the same share through the terminal with:
"mount_smbfs -I server.host.edu //daniel@myserver/Users ~/smb/server"

When I tried this command I got the standard OSX keychain dialogue saying that mount_smbfs had been updated and did I still want it to use my keychain. I pressed "yes" and the share mounted fine. However, the Finder is still not mounting any of the shares on that server. Unfortunately I don't have another server that I can experiment with.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks, Dan

Sep 19, 2007 8:18 PM in response to robot_dan

I've finally managed to solve my own issue, after a multiple calls to Apple support and escalation to engineering support.

I used to use the Finder's "connect to server" command and type in:
"smb://server.host.edu/Sharename"
and this worked fine for a long time. All of a sudden it stopped working, and I was getting the error I described above. I called Apple support and we went through all sorts of troubleshooting but still couldn't fix it. Weird thing was, was that I was able to connect via the terminal just fine, and I had an iBook that could connect fine to the same server via the Finder.

The solution:
I stumbled upon a post in this thread: http://www.macfixitforums.com/showflat.php?Board=tiger&Number=730956
which suggested a more complete format in the "Connect to Server" dialogue. So I tried this:
"smb://WORKGROUP;username:password@server.host.edu/Sharename"

Hey presto, my MBP connected! Even better, it will now connect using the old format: "smb://server.host.edu/Sharename" - weird.

I have a feeling the problem has to do with passwords and the keychain, because when it finally connected properly, I had a keychain dialogue pop up asking for permission to use the password for that server.

I hope this helps some other people out there.

smb error code -36 when attempting to mount smb server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.