Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing AppleWorks6 onto OSX10.4.10 from old disc

I own a copy of AppleWorks 6 but I cannot install it on my new MacBook because it doesn't recognize the version. I've downloaded an updater of AW6 but can't update since I can't install the original version of AW6. What am I supposed to do?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 5, 2007 7:22 AM

7 replies

Sep 5, 2007 7:49 AM in response to Community User

You need an AppleWorks 6.1 or later CD to install AppleWorks under Mac OS X. If you don't have AppleWorks 6.1 and if you have a FireWire port on your old computer and a FireWire cable, you can use the Migration Assistant that came pre-installed on your MacBook to transfer AppleWorks to your new computer. (Use Spotlight to search for Migration.)

If your old computer doesn't support FireWire, you'll need to find an AppleWorks 6.1 or later CD.

Warren Williams
AppleWorks Users Group

Sep 5, 2007 11:19 AM in response to Community User

Hi Marstokyo,

Welcome to Apple Discussions and the AppleWorks forum.

What Warren says, plus...

If your old computer does not have Firewire, but does have a CD burner, you can transfer AppleWorks to your MacBook by burning a copy of the whole AppleWorks 6 folder (and its contents) onto the CD, then copying that to the Applications folder on the MacBook. AppleWorks will create any other files and folders as it needs them.

Regards,
Barry

Sep 9, 2007 6:59 AM in response to Barry

I have a 1 ghz g4 and just ordered a new imac. can you be specific as to what cable I need to hook up the firewire from one computer to the other to transfer appleworks. I think my old computer firewire is 400 and the new one has 2 firewires 400 and 800. I assume a need a cable that is 400 at both ends. Is that the 6 pin? Also can I use this same procedure to transfer music and photos and other files rather than burning a bunch of cd's?

Sep 9, 2007 8:03 AM in response to John Franz

The new imac has a migration assistant to help you transfer files via firewire. However, a number of people are having trouble getting that to work with ppc macs (the solution appears to be daisy-chaining a firewire drive between the machines). If you only need to transfer appleworks, you can burn it to a CD (not a bad idea so that you'll have it for reinstalling later if you need to do so).

A standard firewire 400 cable is all that is needed to connect the macs. I just grab one from one of my firewire drives. If you have trouble, I suggest taking a look in the intel imac forums for help.

Sep 9, 2007 9:22 AM in response to Barbara Brundage

If you only need to transfer appleworks, you can burn it to a CD (not a bad idea so that you'll have it for reinstalling later if you need to do so)

Indeed with AW now not only not supported but not available in any form I would advise any AW user to make a safety copy in case of some sort of disaster - zip it and put it on your iDisk, or send a copy of the CD to a friend to hold. If your house burns down the insurance would replace your Mac, but nothing would replace AppleWorks.

Sep 9, 2007 12:20 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

"Indeed with AW now not only not supported but not available in any form I would advise any AW user to make a safety copy in case of some sort of disaster - zip it and put it on your iDisk, or send a copy of the CD to a friend to hold. If your house burns down the insurance would replace your Mac, but nothing would replace AppleWorks.

While Apple has declared EOL for AppleWorks, that does not leave it 'unsupporterd' (witness this forum and others) or 'not available in any form' (see Hardcore Mac, ebay, etc.), although eventually, that is likely to be the case. That said,having a backup copy of the AppleWorks 6 folder on a CD stored off-site is good advice.

OTOH, if your AppleWorks documents are all on your Mac when your house burns down, taking the Mac with it, you won't have much need for a replacement copy of AppleWorks. Back up the files off-site too, if they're important.

Regards,
Barry

Installing AppleWorks6 onto OSX10.4.10 from old disc

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.