2 Replies Latest reply: Sep 7, 2007 2:40 AM by frellin
John J. O'Brien Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
I've got a VoIP telephone conference call that my client wants me to clean up so it doesn't sound like it was recorded in an empty swimming pool.

I've tried some EQing for some slight improvements, and played around with some other effects, but I have to admit I really don't know what any of them do and what I should try.

Anybody have a 'magic bullet' of filters and setting I can try? I know there's no way I'll be able to make it sound like it was recorded in a VO booth... at best I'll putting lipstick on a pig... but any tricks or tips will be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Dual 2.5 GHz G5, Mac OS X (10.4.6)
  • Noah Apodaca Level 2 Level 2 (225 points)
    a noise gate can be helpful on this kind of stuff -- the actual settings will depend on how your audio file actually sounds, so you'll have to play, but it will help cut down the echo on the voices.
  • frellin Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
    That's VoIP i'm afraid. If it has an echoey hollow sound to it, you won't be able to remove that in all likely hood. The best you can try to do is put a high pass and a low pass filter on it, and roll the top and bottom end of it so that it sounds more like an AM telephone interview for effect. Most of the legible content is between 1.6k and 6k, with an emphasis in the 2.5 to 4 k range. Be careful with 4 k..can get harsh pretty quick. Trial and error. No magic bullets for this.