Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Store in Russia

Hello everybody!

I'm leaving in Russia, in St. Petersburg (second largest city in Russia after Moscow).
I'm really very disappointed about we don't have any APPLE STORE in the whole Russia. We have just a few premium resellers.
Even iTunes Store is not available in Russia! Why? In Russia lives more then 140 000 000 people: more than 12 millions in Moscow and more than 5 millions in St. Petersburg. Millions of Russians have credit cards! Thanks for the Russian version of iTunes, but why iTunes Store is still not available in Russia?!
Microsoft pays more attention at Russia and Russian market in 2006 became the most extremely-growing market in the whole Europe! Why does Apple loose it???!!!

Sorry for my English.
Best regards,
Tim,
St. Petersburg, Russia

Message was edited by: artemacis

Windows Vista, Intel Core2Duo E6850 3.0GHz, 2 GB RAM, GeForce 8800GTS 640Mb, 320GB HDD

Posted on Sep 6, 2007 7:44 AM

8 replies

Sep 6, 2007 8:21 AM in response to artemacis

Please do not take offense, but I suspect that record labels are hesitant to allow Apple to sell their content in Russia given the poor track record on honoring intellectual property rights. Mp3.com seems to have ruined it for the more scrupulous.

P.S. Your English is better than my Russian. Voi govorete po-angliski ochen xorosho!(can't figure out how to type in Russian).

Sep 9, 2007 5:51 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

It just makes no sense!
I mean, people will absolutely always find a way to pirate stuff whether
you sell it or not. This is not a valid reason to withhold a legal, affordable and convenient alternative to the market. I totally believe, that it will
be preferred by a significant number of people.
The key to that is of the content variety in one place, like it is in the US:
music, TV shows, audiobooks, radios etc.

I am sure that there are other problems with starting sales in Russia,
like getting an official status and such. And in order to achieve previosuly
mentioned variety Apple has to come along with dozens of potential
content providers there. Otherwise the business is not going to effective enough to compete on a market.

From the top of my head I know at least 5 people, who would love to have a option just to plug an iPod or whatever to their computer, get the latest updates on the music, shows etc and watch it later.

In fact, there was an article in Kommersant, about Apple opening an office
in Russia 07 fall or early 08.

Sep 9, 2007 8:11 AM in response to Nikamir

Lots of people have said that the music industry's current stance on copy protection and digital downloading doesn't make sense. The music selling industry is in the midst of a massive change in business model. There are going to be sticking points.

Also, one of the things I've notice while working in a customer service job is that when people say "That doesn't make sense.", what they often really mean is, "I disagree with what you're telling me." The RIAAs needs and wants occasionally come into conflict with those of their customers.

Sep 11, 2007 8:43 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I think this is bunk too. You think that not being able to buy US shows and music is lame. What about me.... from CANADA. I get all US tv and music normally. but I can't buy from the US store - and there is plenty of content that I want to buy from them. It doesn't make any sense at all why I can't buy from the US store it doesn't actually really even make much sense why there isn't an international store. The whole thing about different countries laws is bogus. People pirate and download illegally just as much as people do everywhere else.

Sep 11, 2007 9:12 AM in response to tysstyle

Sure there are ways to pirate music and TV and, of course, there are people out there doing it.

But if a retailer puts their entire catalog of merchandise up on the internet where anyone (including the content owners' lawyers) can see, then they need to be much more cautious and vigilant to protect themselves from lawsuits, which, even if the retailer wins, can be costly both in terms of the legal fees and the value of the company's stock.

Illegal sites don't need to worry about getting authorization from content owners. In fact, they'd probably all hope that the content owners never know they're in operation.

Apple has gone the other way - broadcasting and advertising the fact that it is running a music and video store, so the selection of what content is made available is subject to the whims of those people who could sue if the content is distributed in a way that is not agreed to in advance.

It's not so much about different country's laws... It's about content owners wanting to maximize their potential income for the use and distribution of their content. Sometimes that means limiting access in certain areas to a group of exclusive distributors that doesn't always include Apple.

-- It's not even like those of us in the US have access to everything, even though Apple is a US company and probably pretty comfortable with US law. If there is something in the UK or Japan or Germany store that is not in the US store - and you only have a US account - then there's no buying it from iTMS. Even things that are buy US artists, if they are marked as UK or Japan release chances are they will ONLY be available in the UK or Japan store.

Sep 12, 2007 4:11 PM in response to tysstyle

tysstyle wrote:
I think this is bunk too. ..... It doesn't make any sense at all why I can't buy from the US store it doesn't actually really even make much sense why there isn't an international store.

I think the reasons why have been explained (content owners don't always license the same things in every country). Just because you don't like the answer doesn't mean it doesn't make sense.

tysstyle wrote:
People pirate and download illegally just as much as people do everywhere else.

What people do illegally doesn't really have much bearing on the issue. Apple, in order to stay in business, is required to abide by international copyright laws.

If you want things to be different, get involved in politics: write to your MP, use your vote, run for office, go to law school.

iTunes Store in Russia

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.