Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon EVDO with DUN and iPhone support

Is anyone knowlegeable as to if the iPhone could connect to my Verizon phone through bluetooth and use it's EVDO connection to get to the internet?

I would love the iPhone for data capabilities but that is it. The GSM service in the S.F. Bay Area is horrid compared to CDMA. Which means only Sprint or Verizon in my book.

Also on a side note, can one purchase referb iPhones through Apple without a mandatory ATT contract? I placed one in my basket and went to checkout, and there was no mention of needing to sign up with ATT. I appreciate everyones time, and thank you in advance for any input.

Kalel

mac mini, imac 17" w/ dell 2405, Macbook 2.0 duo, Mac OS X (10.4.6)

Posted on Sep 8, 2007 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2007 6:12 PM

1. The iPhone is not able to use your EVDO connection via Bluetooth DUN.

2. You do not sign up for an AT&T account at the time of purchase. You sign up later when you are connecting the iPhone to your computer for activation.

You will not be able to use the iPhone's functions without activating it.

Why not keep your current phone and purchase an iPod touch?
9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2007 6:12 PM in response to Kalel

1. The iPhone is not able to use your EVDO connection via Bluetooth DUN.

2. You do not sign up for an AT&T account at the time of purchase. You sign up later when you are connecting the iPhone to your computer for activation.

You will not be able to use the iPhone's functions without activating it.

Why not keep your current phone and purchase an iPod touch?

Sep 8, 2007 6:20 PM in response to 4n6doc

That is the descision I am at right now. The only drawback to the "touch" was that I could not access internet on the go, apparently this would be a problem with the iPhone too.

Basically it is a physical issue for me. I currently have a Treo, but am unhappy with the performance. I would like ot replace it with something that browses better and has same or better call quality. Verizon has aweful PDA phones right now (though the i760 and htc 6800 are apparently just around the corner)

I thought a possible solution would be the V9m and an iPhone. The V9m for voice and through bluetooth the iPhone for data. This give the same overall girth of the Treo, but in two devices.

I would really like to go with a straight iPhone, but ATT is more expensive, has slower data (on the iPhone atleast) and has much worse reception for me. I could deal possibly with one of these problems, but the three together is a no go for me.

I think the answer will be a touch and a hotspot subscription through T-mobile. I am not really big on this idea as it means I will not have data coverage for a majority of the time, but seems the only solution right now.

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Kal

Sep 8, 2007 6:37 PM in response to Chas Hulme

ooooooooooohhhhh . . . . well that's no good 😀 lol

Sorry, I hadn't even thought of that. I guess the good thing here is that it is a software issue and thus, may someday be possible. Unfortunatly that more or less rules out an iPhone for me. The touch does look to be a very nice device and had the iPhone not been out I would have been jumping for joy over the touch. Things being what they are, I still think the touch is a pretty neat device. Second gen will hopefully have bluetooth for ADP and possible work around for dun. If they do that and add a few more gigs of memory it will be everything I am looking for.

But I digress, I just ordered a touch from Amazon (just 8gb) so I will see how it goes. Looks like it will be a few weeks until they are in stock, so I will continue to see if DUN becomes available for the iPhone.

I really appreciate your help.

Kalel

Sep 8, 2007 10:50 PM in response to Kalel

No worries Kalel... I think things will loosen up a bit on implementing other profiles when AT&T gets their HSPA net reasonably rolled out (they are behind). But of course that'll require an iPhone hw spin. But in any case, the cellular carriers pretty much require you to have a specific unlimited business data plan to do DUN (per the contract)...

Enjoy your iPod touch! 🙂

Sep 9, 2007 5:59 AM in response to Kalel

It seems like what you need is just a web browsing device that supports bluetooth DUN while you're on the go.

Ofcourse the best scenario was if Apple had the iPhone available through Verizon or Sprint too, CDMA carriers with fast EVDO networks. I would jump on an iPhone if it was available on CDMA, but alas.

What i have is a Nokia N800 which i tether to my Treo via bluetooth and it's very great. The N800 is portable enough, even supports flash (hmm, Youtube fixins'), email (POP3/IMAP), Opera 8 browser, multimedia (audio/video), multiple SD card slots (i have two 4 gigs in at the moment), internet radio, even has a camera/webcam built-in, runs Skype, PDF, WiFi and so forth all on an 800 x 480 pixel touchscreen.

You may want to check it out.

One thing for sure, if the iPhone was available for more carriers here, Apple would hit that 10 million mark a whole lot sooner.

Verizon EVDO with DUN and iPhone support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.