Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new mail sounds often but no new mail arrives:::

One of my Macs keeps giving me the new mail has arrived sound and shows 5 messages unread. However, when I open inbox, no new messages! If I do recieve a new message, then the doc icon says I have 6 unread messages, when in fact I only have 1. After I delete all the messages in my inbox, in a few minutes I will get the new mail sound and show I have 5 unread messages. (kind of annoying!)

(I have 6 other Macs, but they do not have this problem. Only one of my Macs does this...)

Any help would be appreciated!

eMac G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 9, 2007 3:52 PM

22 replies

Sep 13, 2007 11:29 AM in response to Ernie Stamper

I am having the same problem. It sounds every time it checks for new mail (which in my case is every minute). I have looked up different forums and nobody has a real answer for this. For your reference, I have 4 accounts: .mac, gmail (POP), another POP account and an HTTPMail account. It only started doing this since I upgraded my iTunes to the newest version.

Sep 13, 2007 3:38 PM in response to stanfelder

The next day another computer started doing the same thing, notifying me of new mail with a fixed number in my inbox, but none were actually there. As now two computers were doing the same thing, then either we got a virus or Mac did something.

What I eventually found, was if I went directly to my .mac account and looked in my mail folder there were the mystery mail! After I deleted the mail from my dotmac acount, that solved the problem. I had to do that with both computers. (A glitch I guess)

Sep 13, 2007 3:42 PM in response to Christoph7577

The option to go to 1 min is there, because it may work in some cases, such as when sitting in an office where the server also sits, and the connection is very fast. With several accounts, and typical broadband connection, the completion of one cycle of checking is not finished before it goes again -- this is where the problem with such a tightly spaced interval likely arises.

Assuming you have answered in the affirmative, and you have revealed all four Inboxes, may I assume none of them display as having new messages?

In the Finder, open ~/Library/Mail/one of the POP account folders, and confirm the presence of an INBOX.mbox folder? (~/ is the same as Home/, btw)

Control click over your POP account Inbox in Mail (the one not Gmail), select Get Info, and again navigate to this POP account. Do you see messages on the POP server?

Another question: do you have any Rules set up to immediately move messages as they are received?

Ernie

Sep 13, 2007 3:51 PM in response to stanfelder

Ernie, I guess I don't really understand what you mean "Control click over your POP account Inbox in Mail (the one not Gmail), select Get Info, and again navigate to this POP account. Do you see messages on the POP server?"

I know how to get to the get info window, but what do you mean navigate to this POP account? I have one rule set up to auto-reply to my hotmail account.

Stan, I don't have any messages when I log in to my .mac account.

Sep 13, 2007 4:04 PM in response to Christoph7577

If you control-click on any mailbox, and choose Get Info, you get a window to then choose which account you want to get server info for. This is NOT the Get Info found in a Finder window. What we are checking here is the communication with the server. It doesn't work with a Gmail server, because Gmail is not true POP. With a .mac or IMAP account the Get Info will allow you to check quota and space use, as described in:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mail/2.0/en/ml1013.html

Ernie

new mail sounds often but no new mail arrives:::

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.