Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Album Artwork - "Various Artists"

Hello everyone!

I wanted to know how to get an album artwork from an album categorized by iTunes as a +"Various Artists" album+.
I know that both the Artist and Album name have to be the same verbatim in my library and the iTunes store for the album artwork transfer to work. I don't know why, but "Various Artists" albums don't work... Maybe because they are not classified as the work of one artist and therefore not clear to find; but then, what about collaboration albums with different artists? Those ones work just fine. Anyways, I am quite bewildered by this...

Can someone please help me? I have been wondering for a long time now and have not found the answer.

Thanks!

Vincent

MacBook Pro 17', Mac OS X (10.4.10), iMac 20', Mac Mini, iPod 80GB, iPod 30GB (Hopefully an iPhone soon)

Posted on Sep 11, 2007 6:59 AM

19 replies

Sep 11, 2007 7:13 AM in response to Attitude

Thanks for the speedy response!

When I click on these "Various Artists" albums (VRA), there is not even a picture of the album that appears on the bottom left corner, usually as a shortcut to that album in the iTunes store.
For example, the album "Bam Margera Presents: Viva la Bands" is one of my VRA's where I can't get the album artwork. On the iTunes store, I checked what the iTunes songs information content was by clicking "Get Info" and it matches exactly what I have on my library...

What do you think about it Attitude?

Sep 21, 2007 1:28 PM in response to Vincent Metayer

I'm kind of hoping some bright person will help with this thread. I have the same problem, only with the album Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles. This is not an obscure album.

When the CD is imported it comes in as a bunch of separate artists, with separate artwork unrelated to the album. Then, after I make sure that the album name and the artist name are the same for all tracks, they all come together as one album, but with no artwork. Very frustrating!

Hope someone can advise.

Rob

Message was edited by: Rob Stevenson

Sep 21, 2007 7:03 PM in response to Rob Stevenson

I don't have many full albums in my iTunes library. So sometimes I just have one track from a Various Artist Album and it still doesn't work to get the album artwork.

Rob, just one question, do you use the Canadian or USA iTunes store? Because I checked both stores and I did not see any +Common Thread: The Songs of the Eagles+ album. Maybe you can't get the album artwork for that album because it simply is not in stores.

Anyways, someone please help!

Sep 21, 2007 9:40 PM in response to Rob Stevenson

go to this link...and copy one of the album covers on this page....ctrl-click <---Mac

<a class="jive-link-external-small" href="http://">http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=common thread+song+of+eagles&btnG=SearchImages&gbv=2

I use iTunes for Mac...so, these directions will be for Mac....

In your "music library" highlight all the tracks on the CD....

go to "file" "get info"

make sure at the bottom of the window that pops up..you click "compilation"...you will see (on the right hand side) a box labeled "artwork"....click the button...click inside the box and then "alt-V" and the new album artwork should appear. Click "ok" and you should be in business....

Hope this helps.

Sep 22, 2007 10:16 AM in response to Vincent Metayer

I'm not sure if you've done this, but just select all of the songs belonging to the album in question, then ctrl-click to Get Info. In the Complilation drop-down list, select Yes. There is no need to enter an artist or album artist name of Various Artists, as iTunes takes care of this for you. I simply use the Artist tag as with ordinary albums, and file organization and the fetching of artwork from iTMS work perfectly.

If you still have trouble fetching your artwork, please provide the name of the album in question and I'll investigate further.

Sep 23, 2007 12:31 AM in response to Rob Stevenson

Rob,

I've seen a rather large number of posts recently from other users reporting this issue with compilation albums sorting as a bunch of individual songs with separate artwork for each, and have to admit that I have not experienced this myself. What I would do is show the browser in the iTunes window (View > Show Browser), then make sure there's only one entry for the album under the artist "Compilations." If there are multiple entries for this album, select them all from the library, then try editing the Artist and Album tags, even if you have to manually enter this information. Then, once more, make sure the Compilation tag is set to Yes.

Important: Now, if you haven't already done so, go to iTunes > Preferences > General, and make sure you enable the Group Compilations when browsing.

At this point, as long as the grouping and sorting are straightened out, you may want to select all tracks belonging to the album in question, right-click and select Remove Downloaded Artwork, then use the Get Album Artwork command to fetch the artwork again. Otherwise you may have unnecessary clutter and complications in your Downloaded Artwork folder causing things to not work quite right.

Sep 23, 2007 7:03 AM in response to NoName

Thanks for persisting with this. I appreciate the help.

I have the album name the same for all cuts; the artist is set to "Various artists" just so it's the same for all; the album artist is set to the name of each artist (I cut and pasted from the artist field.)

Compilation tag is turned on, Prefs are set as you suggest.

There is no Remove Downloaded Artwork command, just Clear Downloaded Artwork, which doesn't remove what I had pasted in but only removes whatever has been downloaded automatically, which was nothing. So I went through the cuts one by one and deleted the artwork I had retrieved.

I selected all the tracks and asked it again to get the artwork, but again nothing. And all the songs remain separate in the browser Cover Flow view.

I'm sure this would all work if the album were in the iTunes store, but alas it's not. Obviously it's in the CDDB, since the song titles loaded automatically, but I guess they don't provide the artwork and whatever magical tag keeps everything tied together.

Rob

P.S.
I made one more attempt, following the hint above. The Artist is now the actual artist (as automatically downloaded), Album Artist is blank, Album is normal, Composer is Various Artists. Still the same problem.

Message was edited by: Rob Stevenson

Sep 23, 2007 7:30 AM in response to Rob Stevenson

Just a quick reply here... In my case, everything is working, and here's a description of how my compilation albums are tagged:

Artist = set to track artist for each individual track
Album Artist = completely blank
Album = same album name for every track on album
Year = appropriate value
Track Number = appropriate value(s)
Disc Number = appropriate value(s)
Comments = same for every track
Compilation = Yes

Besides the things I've suggested earlier, one other thing that I do to keep things arranged and grouped logically is to click on the Album column for a couple of seconds until the column heading changed to Album by Artist. Without doing this, things can really get to be a mess.

P.S. If you get your metadata from CDDB (Gracenote), then it would be no wonder that your albums get scattered all over the place. I don't use online lookups at all, as I find them to be inaccurate nearly 100% of the time for one reason or another. Often, you'll find that the Genre tag can have different values for different tracks in the same album, Greatest Hits albums by one artist are tagged as compilations, users have no common understanding of when or how to use the Artist and Album Artist tags, etc. My own opinion is that it's worth the time to tag things by hand the right way.

Sep 23, 2007 7:51 AM in response to NoName

Oh I see... Thanks "NoName" and Rob!

This is how one of my problematic album is:
(This one only has on track that's in my library)

Artist = set to track artist like iTunes store
Album Artist = blank
Album = same album name as iTunes store
Year = same as iTunes store
Track Number = appropriate value (second space is empty because it is a "Partial Album")
Disc Number = appropriate value
Comments = no comment
Compilation = Yes

But it still doesn't work...
I guess I'll find a pic from the Internet... But I was trying to find a way to get the album artwork from iTunes, since the colours are just and the quality is large.

Thanks you guys for all the help!

Album Artwork - "Various Artists"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.