Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

moving itunes folder from one external hard drive to another

Hey can anyone help? I keep my itunes music on an external hard drive. I just got another one and moved all my music to the new hard drive. In Itunes in Advanced I switched the folder to my new hard drive, and although it imports new songs there, Itunes can't find any of my songs. Does anyone know if I press "Consolidate Library" if that will work or will it just double up all the names in my itunes. (all the albums are still listed there but with an explanation point next to them)?

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 12, 2007 12:18 AM

6 replies

Sep 12, 2007 2:10 PM in response to SirAndrewS

Same scenario, for me moving from hard disk on MBP to external hard drive, and Itunes loses almost all links to songs!!

I've ended up changing my Itunes location back to MBP, then deleting the whole library, changing back to external hard drive, and then using "add to library" to add in the hard drive contents back in. One thing I did do before this was make a copy of the Itunes Artwork library on the MBP, as most of my music is my own, so I didn't want to have to get them off the net again!

There must be a problem with Itunes and external music folders, as we are not the only ones with the problem

moving itunes folder from one external hard drive to another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.