Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still no proper pitch shifting ?

Been looking through the Logic 8 manual and still cant see anything that allows proper pitch shifting.
It seems you can time stretch Apple Loops on the fly and pitch them just like garage band, but not on audio that you have just imported or recorded. It seems that the old crumby Time stretching plugin is still hanging around in the destructive editing palette aswell.
It looks on the face of it to be the same packge with a nice GUI and a few tidyups to me, not really worthy of a number revision jump.
I'm open to correction on all of this though, and would welcome it to be honest, as i was really hoping for more after waiting years for a proper update.
If this is it, i fear Logic will be superseeded by the competition very soon and i fear apple will eventually ditch the product.
I used to be an opcode Vision user many years ago and exactly the same happened to their product, Gibson took over, took away the copy protection and finally ditched the product leaving everyone in the lurch.
Im just not sure if apple really care that much about this product and may have realised it needs lot more developement resources than they are willing to give to it.

null

MacPro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Sep 12, 2007 1:01 PM

15 replies

Sep 13, 2007 5:38 AM in response to Wintersun Project

I'm a little concerned about the pitch/time in the new app, from the manual it looks like the same old time/pitch factory with the funky 3d flying orb removed.

I sure hope both quality and ease of setting parameters are much improved, that was definitely a weak spot.

Timestretch by dragging is a nice addition, but the whole pitch/time thing needed a revamp.

Sep 13, 2007 8:34 AM in response to armstrong2

Logic 8 is the first step into a new direction and if you say "not much has changed" then I´d recommend you to get your hands on it first. A lot of changes are not really obvious but within a very short timeframe, you will experience that things are much faster & nicer than ever before. This alone is worth the upgrade!

And of course, you should not expect 8.0 to have "everything". This is the first of a completely revamped Logic - and for sure not the last 🙂

Sep 13, 2007 8:36 AM in response to Mike Connelly

Mike, I haven´t found much differences so far - but you should see it this way: While Logic 8 covers a lot in the professional segement, it currently does not include everything. Many pro users I know use external time/pitch shifting tools and while Apple may upgrade their version someday, I think workflow enhancements and a lot of other things had priority. And those are REALLY great...

Message was edited by: Synsongs

Sep 13, 2007 11:34 AM in response to Wintersun Project

I think both Serato's Pitch n Time, and Izotope's Radius are supported as plug-ins. They are priced equally at $399. (not cheap plug-ins), I guess this would be the added cost of LP8 if it had this type of pitch & time function built-in. Well, now we have the option of adding this feature or not.. by saving or spending $399. on top of LP8's cost.

I wonder, what seems to be more popular, i.e. has better algorithms/results, for both time and pitch manipulation:

Serato's "Pitch n Time" or iZotope's "Radius" ?

Any feedback on this would be great.

Thanks.

Sep 13, 2007 11:42 AM in response to muzik21

50% cost reduction, you don't expect them to add in algorithms that cost hundreds of dollars on top of everything else?

That being said, people who can afford both (because they need them professionally) buy both. The different algorithms handle different sources better/worse so most that I know keep both on hand.

However, if I had to buy only one (and I do have to buy one) my money is on Radius.

Don't forget the Melodyne plug-in either. Although that would nice complement the choice of one or the other of the available Time and Pitch machine plugs.

Sep 13, 2007 4:40 PM in response to Synsongs

Well i said that having used it actually, i'm not just reading the reviews here. I am totally happy with it, in so many ways. I was really looking for something to replace my need for pro tools for certain things, and its just not what i was really hoping for in the audio realm. There is proper audio bussing and sample accurate editing now, as well as a beautiful cleanup of the entire program which i know is no small feat, but i am disappointed that there is not a new audio timestretching process or some newer, more consolidated editing tools/ways. For the midi/music and simple audio side of things, i am thrilled. For the post or recorded music editing side, PT is still the top dog. The transient/ beat detective features, editing means, and fading of regions really make it. Fades in Logic 8 are still pretty clumsy.

Speaking of which, is anybody aware of this snap to transient feature? i hear lots about it but could not find a specific reference to it anywhere in the manual. If what i was doing using the arrow keys was it, it doesnt find the transients at all..

Still no proper pitch shifting ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.