Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Adding dates & times

Hi, In Excel it is simple to add dates or times (eg start time + duration = end time) but this doesn't work in numbers and I can't see a way round it. Am I missing something?
Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Numbers Version 1.0

Posted on Sep 12, 2007 1:43 PM

12 replies

Sep 12, 2007 2:24 PM in response to ThomDennis

Hello

Thisthread:
<http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5311289&#5311289>
treats widely of the question.

I will shorten it.

In Numbers we can't add date and times. It's a pity but we have to live with it for some months.
Happily if the startig time is in B2 and duration is in C2 we may compute the ending time (in decimal representation) thru:
D2 =(TIMEVALUE(B2)+TIMEVALUE(C2))*24
to get the current display:

E2 =INT(D24)&":"&RIGHT("00"&INT((D2-INT(D2))*60);2)

Yvan KOENIG (from FRANCE mercredi 12 septembre 2007 23:10:1)

Oct 8, 2007 2:04 AM in response to ThomDennis

Hi,

just adding two time values just works for me, but don't try it with subtracting a third value 😟
interestingly adding a third value just works - and also corrects the cell format ???? see below:

<pre>
A B C D E
3 Start End Pause Hours given formula
4 08:30 17:00 00:30 09:00 B3-A3+A4
5 00:30 0,4 B3-A3 (strange format, D5 is set to HH:MM)
6 Error B3-A3-C3
</pre>

I think, Apple has to "finish" the time-handling in Numbers.
This is sad, because you need those handling e.g. for time-tracking sheets.

~ Markus

Oct 8, 2007 7:50 PM in response to WWJD

handling dates and times is programming 101. it's not that hard. in fact we expect 10 year olds to master it. i fail to see why numbers can't. can we also have an insert date/time function please in the menu. i expect it to be fixed first update.a complete set of date functions including number of days, hours, minutes, seconds whatever for forward, backward analysis or calculations please.

Adding dates & times

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.