Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't receive emails with Sympatico

I have 2 email accounts with Bell Sympatico. The owner account is functioning fine; the 2ndary account no longer can receive email, but can still send. I get a message saying
"the POP server POP6.sympatico.ca"rejected the password for 'b1...' please re-enter your password or cancel."
I can still send emails, and interestingly, I can access the mail from this particular account with the webmail at Sympatico/MSN. I have changed NO settings; all I did Monday was to upgrade from the old 'getEmail' to the new one with more storage (MSN/Sympatico). I've tried POP1, POP2, POP3, you get the idea. Nothing. tried their other suggestion of:
8. Under My incoming mail (POP3) server, type in : pophm.sympatico.ca
9. Under My outgoing mail (SMTP) server, type in : smtphm.sympatico.ca
(In spite of me making it painfully clear I was on a Mac with Apple Mail, I got suggestions for Outlook, etc...) sigh
I've talked to sympatico on the phone (from India...)tried their suggestion. Nothing. Should I delete the account and re-create it?
I am tearing my hair out. Yes, there is that clumsy webmail workaround, but I want things to work properly, and the Sympatico worker bees are 8000 miles away...Suggestions?

iBook G4 PPC, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 768 MB RAM, 60 Gb HD

Posted on Sep 13, 2007 4:41 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2007 6:51 AM

I know that Sympatico have 2 type of e-mails:

the "old ones" that have the same settings since Sympatico started 10 years ago. Here are the information would need to setup your Symaptico e-mail in Mail:
Username: b1 **##
Password: access password
Incoming mail (POP3): pop6.sympatico.ca
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp1.sympatico.ca
Port server 25 for Outgoing (SMTP)
Port server 110 for Incoming (POP3)

The other Sympatico e-mail is the enhance one with MSN. The settings are differents and the authentification is different. Any new Sympatico accounts since June 2004 are on that new plaform. Here are the information would need to setup Mail:
Username: e-mailaddress@sympatico.ca
Password: e-mail password
Incoming mail (POP3): pophm.sympatico.ca
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtphm.sympatico.ca
Verify that your server is set to requires anthentiation with agin your Sympatico e-mail and Sympatico password;
Both servers, Outgoing and Incoming, require a secure connection (SSL)

If you are not sure witch is what try to login online at: http://www.sympaticomail.sympatico.ca it will tell you if can upgrade to new enhance e-mail or if you sign in like a Hotmail account if you are already enhance.

I hope this help....

Cheers
10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2007 6:51 AM in response to Campbellcroft

I know that Sympatico have 2 type of e-mails:

the "old ones" that have the same settings since Sympatico started 10 years ago. Here are the information would need to setup your Symaptico e-mail in Mail:
Username: b1 **##
Password: access password
Incoming mail (POP3): pop6.sympatico.ca
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtp1.sympatico.ca
Port server 25 for Outgoing (SMTP)
Port server 110 for Incoming (POP3)

The other Sympatico e-mail is the enhance one with MSN. The settings are differents and the authentification is different. Any new Sympatico accounts since June 2004 are on that new plaform. Here are the information would need to setup Mail:
Username: e-mailaddress@sympatico.ca
Password: e-mail password
Incoming mail (POP3): pophm.sympatico.ca
Outgoing mail (SMTP): smtphm.sympatico.ca
Verify that your server is set to requires anthentiation with agin your Sympatico e-mail and Sympatico password;
Both servers, Outgoing and Incoming, require a secure connection (SSL)

If you are not sure witch is what try to login online at: http://www.sympaticomail.sympatico.ca it will tell you if can upgrade to new enhance e-mail or if you sign in like a Hotmail account if you are already enhance.

I hope this help....

Cheers

Sep 13, 2007 1:32 PM in response to Campbellcroft

Sympathies first off.
Bell/Sympatico user for years now and they're interface with Mail app is not great.
And, their current customer service is appalling...

One suggestion is to get them to update your secondary account to the more recent format ( away from the b1 format) if you haven't already done so. Then go through your settings.
Port 995 is what i am set to in the advanced settings.
Also, are you currently out of the province? If so, you may have to change some of your settings.

When you call sympatico again, and sadly, I know that you probably will, ask to speak with a Tier 2 representative (T2) . And get yourself a ticket number. That will enable you to bypass the gordian knot of well intentioned but useless customer service 'tech support' and get straight to the T2 people who may be able to help you.

good luck

Sep 13, 2007 2:48 PM in response to jonathan watton

This is MOST helpful. Honestly, I'm at the end of my rope..talking to India to solve my problem in Ontario--so I don't know if that's your province. Anyway, if the b1 setups are old, what do the new setups look like? And can I keep the email addresses I have? I was pondering....If I deleted the troublesome account in question at the new Sympatico/MSN interface, and created a new account, would I be able to create my same user@sympatico.ca account again? If I need to call a tier 2 rep, I will. I have had nothing but grief from the useless Sympatico people, not just about this, but a plethora of things I eventually either fixed myself, or went postal on them so I got what I wanted...LOL

Sep 14, 2007 8:47 AM in response to Campbellcroft

As jonathan watton suggested I would suggest you to upgrade your Sympatico e-mail still working with the b1 **## to be upgraded to the enhance e-mail. I know that you do not need to change your e-mail address if you upgrade. Also do NOT delete your Sympatico address from the Self Care site or you will never be able to get it back. You can always remove the account settings from Mac Mail that won't affect your e-mail account.

If you do not wish to talk to an Indian agent you can Chat with a tech or e-mail them but if you do go with the French queue they are bilingual.

Chat: http://www.bell.ca/clavardageinternet
E-mail: https://www.bell.ca/support/PrsCSrvIntCtUsEform.page

Also you can upgrade your Sympatico e-mail yourself at this site: http://www.upgradecentre.sympatico.ca

I recently upgraded my secondary account at this site and there was no issue I switch the settings and changed my preferences online instead of calling.

Sep 15, 2007 4:41 PM in response to Meller99

Talking to India--really my issue is contracting out work to people paid less while Bell makes BOATLOADS of money whilst providing APPALLING customer service...but I digress....
After calling Sympatico AGAIN....I got results. Happily me e-mail now works, but not because of the info Bell has on the website, or what 2 previous techs had told me. I DID have to change my user id to the e-mail address, and choose SSL port 995 for incoming, but I was to leave the outgoing server as smpt.1, and I ALSO left my owner account as a b1 user ID. That works. Now, my next quest is to figure out while the dialup connection disconnects whenever I use Entourage email..LOL..(which I've configured like my Apple Mail app.) Thanks everyone:-) You all had me going in the right direction, which was more than the 1st 2 Sympatico techs did.

can't receive emails with Sympatico

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.