Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

smtp.gmail.com connection failed

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone else has this problem and if a solution has been found.

I have setup up an account on the iPhone for Gmail and it works great. I also have a domain with Google and use their gmail service for it so I setup another account using POP. I created it as "Other" and did all the setup as specified. Very straight forward.

In testing, I am receiving all emails just fine. Sending however is a problem, Most of the time I get a msg on the iPhone that says "Cannot Send Mail The connection to the outgoing server 'smtp.gmail.com' failed."

I have tried listing the smtp server different ways. For example I have attempted to put the port number behind it like, smtp.gmail.com:587 (I have put the port number on and not put it on and it does not seem to make a difference.) I have turned SSL on and off. It seems to not want to find the smtp server.

On the rare occasion, I seem to get a message through. It seems to be perhaps the first message after creating the "other" account.

Anyone else run into this?

Thanks,
-Lane

Posted on Sep 15, 2007 9:59 AM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2007 3:46 PM in response to lanepierce

Have you entered in your login information for the SMTP server. You do need to enter your username@gmail.com and password for the SMTP authentication.

Other than that, I have SMTP.gmail.com with my username and pass and have no problems sending or recieving mail. Gmail is hte only account I have setup though.

Hope this helps.
thanks

Sep 16, 2007 5:21 PM in response to lanepierce

Good evening.

I set up my gmail as the outbound server on my iPhone as well and it works fine.
However, when sending a test to myself I see that the "From" email address is my
gmail address whereas I want my reply to, or "From" address to be my main pop account
as I will not set up a incoming mailbox for gmail. I just need to outbound server part.
Anyway around this please?
Thank you.

smtp.gmail.com connection failed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.