Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Probable explanation for Ipod Touch LCD deficiencies

I'm an engineer with experience in the LCD industry and after seeing enough photos of the Ipod Touch I feel that I can make a pretty accurate assessment of the "black level" situation. It appears to me that it's a problem with the *anti-reflective coating*. The good news is this is most likely a temporary situation due to quality control issues.

(Added explanation: The AR coating is essentially a clear layer that prevents light from reflecting off of that surface. What's happening here is the upper glass layer is reflecting light from the LCD screen back down onto the said screen. Without an AR coating you get exactly what you see - shimmering blacks. The problem isn't noticeable with vibrant colors on screen. Rotating the screen will change the way this light is reflected to your eyes and may minimize the problem, but since the LCD was engineered to give best color output when looking straight on, you're left with a losing battle.)

Apple surely rushed the factory on getting these out (Steve was likely already upset enough that they weren't ready for the announcement along with the other units) and the factory, under undoubtedly ridiculous amounts of pressure, started to skimp on this very expensive - and very important - part of the process. Additionally, AR coating issues would also explain why you see "slight changes" from one unit to the next.

It's the last thing anyone wants to hear, but the best thing to do is wait 2 weeks or even a month for the complaints to filter through Apple HQ into the factory where changes will certainly be made.

Good luck all - and to those who got good units congrats!

Message was edited by: drvelocity

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 15, 2007 11:20 PM

89 replies

Sep 16, 2007 12:00 AM in response to K3NNY II

I am not a scientist on TV, but I do play ony i real life.
From mine, it seems like a simple contrast slider would fix, or at least make acceptable to the majority of users. It partly depends on the controls and partly on the users. Some will never be satisfied after hearing about the problem and then looking. Some of the rest of us say that it looks like my flat screen TV when the controls are all whack. Hopefully it is more the latter.

Sep 16, 2007 4:10 PM in response to drvelocity

I am certain that your explanation is correct, or at least close to the mark.

The unit is displaying blacks, it's not a display driver or codec problem. When you tilt the screen the image improves in that aspect, but degrades in other aspects (colors fade as normally happens, etc.) And who wants to have to watch all movies on your iPod with the screen tilted away at an angle?

There's no reason why you should get this problem with looking directly at the screen, that's why I'm certain it's hardware related.

Sep 16, 2007 4:44 PM in response to drvelocity

So what they need to do is make it so they are one piece pretty much. I would have to say your correct about the coating. That probably would explain why it looks worse in certain lighting also I would Imagine. I checked out the touch today (Apple Store) and I didn't notice anything terrible, not like any of the pictures I've seen.

Sep 16, 2007 5:58 PM in response to drvelocity

I'm an engineer too (although no experience with LCD construction) and this sounds along the lines of what this would be.

The thing that concerns me is that these things take weeks to get to the US for distribution from China. If Apple is not even aware of the issue it could take a couple of months for 'good' units to make their way to store shelves.

Also in question is whether Apple will do the honorable thing and offer to exchange the affected units for BRAND NEW ones or if they will be jerks about the whole thing and swap them with refurbs or refuse to ever acknowledge the issue.

Probable explanation for Ipod Touch LCD deficiencies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.