Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes "hangs" while syncing photos on network drive

I have my photos on a network drive. I have specified the UNC path (\\computername\share\path) and even tried a mapped drive (N:\path) and although iTunes can read the drive just fine either way (I can traverse the path, the list of "Selected folders" is populated, and the number of files present for each folder is updated correctly), it hangs when syncing. After an hour of showing "syncing iPod" while trying to copy the photos, none were copied; The iPod Touch says there are no photos. I have tried only syncing a folder with a single file: no dice. When I try a local folder, it works fine.

Anyone know how to correct this?

Dell Precision, Windows XP Pro

Posted on Sep 16, 2007 8:09 PM

1 reply

Sep 20, 2007 12:38 PM in response to Deadly_B

Deadly_B . . . Apple eng is aware of a bug I reported to them back in Aug which is similar to the problem you encountered. The problem I reported occurs when you use add folder and specify a UNC location for the directory and then try and sync its contents, in my case mp3 files, to the ipod. In my case, the itunes sync process just skips all the songs specified with the UNC and reports no errors after syncing tghe rest of the other songs specified with drive letter mapping.

itune's 2nd level support said mime was the only report of the UNC bug and as they follow the squeaky wheel approach to correcting bugs they didn't envision the bug being fixed anytime soon.

So, give itunes 2nd level support a call and complain about this common problem. Then should fix the bug if enough folks call and complain about it.

To work around the bug you might try removing the photo's from itunes, map a permanant drive letter to the network location of the photo's, then use the "add folder" function specifying the newly mapped drive letter and the network location of the files.

iTunes "hangs" while syncing photos on network drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.