Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mini as a webserver?

Does anyone have any personal experience running a current-generation Mac Mini as a webserver?

I'm considering moving one of the sites I manage (about 500 uniques/day) onto one, to save money, and also as a development sandbox. Any thoughts on performance?

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 17, 2007 11:40 PM

4 replies

Sep 18, 2007 3:05 AM in response to Attabui

A fair number of people, and even some hosting companies used even the original G4 Mac mini as a web server. It was (and is) considered perfect for locating in a data center due to its small size, low cost, and very low power consumption.

As the Intel Mac mini is significantly more powerful but still has modest power consumption and is the same minute size, pretty much all the same advantages apply.

So yes, for the amount of traffic you describe it is perfect.

It is possible to use even the 'personal websharing' feature in the 'ordinary' Mac OS X 10.4 software as the webserver since it is in reality Apache just like the full Mac OS X Server. I have even used this to run Squirrelmail (webmail) on top. Unlike the full Mac OS X Server, you will probably have to hand edit some of the Apache configuration files since it does not include the Mac OS X Server Configuration utility to do this (e.g. to turn on PHP).

Sep 18, 2007 6:22 AM in response to Attabui

I think just about every angle has already been covered except for one: the fact the Mac mini is a physically small system should not prevent you from considering it as a full-powered desktop computer, capable of pretty much everything any other desktop computer can do (and actually a fair bit more than some). It has laptop limitations in terms of lack of internal upgrade options, but with fast core 2 duo processor, a base of 1Gb RAM and a design capable of running 24/7, it is a very capable system indeed.

Sep 18, 2007 6:34 AM in response to Attabui

I have been using a G4 Mac Mini as a web server for about two years now. I have had the system mounted under a desk hosting web/email/vpn/file sharing/ftp/smb/dhcp/dns services for 5+ domains 24/7 with out a single problem. The only down time that I have had is either a server update or an ISP problem. I have even stayed up and running during a couple power outages. Even though my battery backup system is only rated for 1 hour, I have seen it keep the Mac Mini running for 2.5+ hours because of the Mini's low power requirement.

Mac Mini as a webserver?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.