3 Replies Latest reply: Sep 20, 2007 1:23 PM by Mihalis Tsoukalos
guanzhong Level 1 Level 1 (0 points)
Hi everyone,

I just used the migration tool to move all applications from an old Mac computer to a new Mac Pro running OS X(10.4.10). However some of the X11 applications, in particular, emacs, don't work (although some others, such as gnuplot, xfig, etc. do work).

I tried to update fink following the instructions on this page: http://www.finkproject.org/download/upgrade.php?phpLang=en
Specifically, I used the commend line: fink selfupdate, but then it failed with the message:

package architecture (darwin-i386) does not match system (darwin-powerpc)
Errors were encountered while processing:
/sw/fink/dists/stable/main/binary-darwin-i386/languages/system-perl5615.6.1-2darwin-i386.deb
### execution of dpkg failed, exit code 1
Failed: can't install package system-perl561-5.6.1-2

It seems the problem is "package architecture (darwin-i386) does not match system (darwin-powerpc)".

What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)
  • etresoft Level 7 Level 7 (26,605 points)
    Reinstall from scratch. You don't want to migrate all those old applications to your new machine. I don't know why you would want that old version of Perl at all. Just use the built-in 5.8.6 version.
  • Bill Scott Level 6 Level 6 (11,445 points)
    Just to re-emphasize: Your ppc version of fink is not compatible with intel. Throw the entire contents of your /sw directory in the trash and install the intel fink binary installer, and then update, and then install the software you require.

The wrong perl version is the very least of the problems you would have.
  • Mihalis Tsoukalos Level 4 Level 4 (2,015 points)
    rwhmc wrote:
    It seems the problem is "package architecture (darwin-i386) does not match system (darwin-powerpc)".

Exactly!
    Your new machine is darwin-i386 (intel) whereas your old machine is darwin-powerpc (powerpc).
    Just delete fink and re-install.

Mihalis.

Message was edited by: Mihalis Tsoukalos