Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unexpected error -10813 when trying to use Change All

I'm trying to change the Open With (in the Get Info window) program used with some files, but when trying to use the Change All button, I get :

The operation could not be completed
An unexpected error occured (error code -10813)

I'm trying to change all my .BMX files to open with the BlitzMax program, instead of the currently (incorrect) program.

Any reason why it should come up with this error message ?

Intel iMac 2.1Ghz, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 19, 2007 7:06 AM

3 replies

Sep 19, 2007 7:27 AM in response to MrTAToad

Not sure how helpful this is:

-10813 - kLSDataUnavailableErr - Data of the desired type is not available (for example, there is no kind string).

My guess is some sort of system corruption. You might try fixing the LaunchServices database:

Open the Terminal application in the Utilities folder. Paste the following command in its entirety at the Terminal window prompt and press return. Wait for the prompt to reappear.

/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/L aunchServices.framework/Versions/Current/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain system -domain local -domain user

If the above doesn't resolve the problem then you might take a look at the information in this post for additional things you can try:

http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=1309414#1309414

I would also consider doing the following:

Repairing the Hard Drive and Permissions

Boot from your OS X Installer disc. After the installer loads select your language and click on the Continue button. When the menu bar appears select Disk Utility from the Installer menu (Utilities menu for Tiger.) After DU loads select your hard drive entry (mfgr.'s ID and drive size) from the the left side list. In the DU status area you will see an entry for the S.M.A.R.T. status of the hard drive. If it does not say "Verified" then the hard drive is failing or failed. (SMART status is not reported on external Firewire or USB drives.) If the drive is "Verified" then select your OS X volume from the list on the left (sub-entry below the drive entry,) click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If DU reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit DU and return to the installer. Now shutdown the computer for a couple of minutes and then restart normally.

If DU reports errors it cannot fix, then you will need Disk Warrior (4.0 for Tiger) and/or TechTool Pro (4.5.2 for Tiger) to repair the drive. If you don't have either of them or if neither of them can fix the drive, then you will need to reformat the drive and reinstall OS X.

Sep 19, 2007 12:14 PM in response to Kappy

Yes, its a pretty useless description isn't it ?

What I did was the usual cleanup and removal of the preference file containing the list of programs that can be 'opened with', and it all seems fine now - doing a change all worked fine.

I suspect OSX was having a problem with the original program (which didn't exist) or the list of programs was causing a problem.

Message was edited by: MrTAToad

Unexpected error -10813 when trying to use Change All

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.