Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Roadrunner Cable Modem, Packet VoIP, AX - stumped

Hi,
I've spent hours reading discussions that seem like they should help me, but I'm just not having any luck. I have an internet connection through my Roadrunner cable modem. An ethernet cord connects the modem to a Packet8 VoIP box (WAN outlet.) When I use another ethernet cord to connect my iBook directly to the Packet8 box's LAN outlet, I get a perfect internet signal. However, when I connect that ethernet cord to my Airport Express (AX), I lose the internet signal. (The iBook is successfully connected to the AX, just not the internet.)
Items of note - I am using a corded phone to reduce any possible interference. I have upgraded the AX's firmware. I have turned off the modem, Packet8 box, and AX multiple times to reset them. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Sep 19, 2007 2:20 PM

3 replies

Oct 18, 2007 12:49 PM in response to 4kelsey

Although no one responded from the Apple Discussions group, after over 10 hours of phone conversations with Packet 8 technicians, we finally figured it out. In case anyone else can use the info... Internet connection settings through Network should be set at Auto connect using DHCP. A static IP address and other addresses need to be set manually through Airport Admin Utility > Configure > Internet. Packet 8 now has the specific info recorded for all technicians to access.

Oct 18, 2007 6:55 PM in response to 4kelsey

Thank you for your post. I'm having the exact same problem with my grandfather's computer. Roadrunner also, only with a Motorola modem. Spent all day long with "customer service" who basically told us b/c we could get internet while directly connected to the modem, that was all they were required to do and wouldn't help us with the wireless. We have tried 2 different routers, our airport (that works in our home), and two laptops.

We are switching him to DSL and hope this helps. But if you have any further suggestions, that would be great.

Oct 24, 2007 1:20 PM in response to 4kelsey

In this case one of the first things i would ask the ISP is if that Package 8 unit or the VOIP phone device considering its plugged directly into the modem. If i operates as a router. One way to check is while its plugged into the modem, plug the computer into it and see what IP address the computer gets.
If the computer receives other than 10.x.x.x or 192.x.x.x then its a direct connection to the internet as if your plugged into the modem. If its a ip something different than the two up above that package 8 device is a router. In this case you'd "turn off the DHCP" function on the Airport.

Roadrunner Cable Modem, Packet VoIP, AX - stumped

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.