Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BlueAnt Z9 headset - awesome with iPhone!

I picked up an Apple Bluetooth Headset for the iPhone and found it to be absolutely terrible, a waste of $129. It was staticy, it had poor range, it had weird background noise...I was completely unsatisfied with it other than the tiny size. I've had several other Bluetooth headsets before but I was still on the lookout for a better one. The Jawbone was excellent, but had some minor issues that I didn't care for (issues with the noise cancellation feature, fit issues, etc.). Then I read this review on the BlueAnt Z9 headset over at MyiTablet:

http://www.myitablet.com/my-itablet-review-blueant-z9-bluetooth-headset-151384.p hp

I decided to pick one up. MyiTablet sells them for $99, a full $30 less than the iPhone headset. It's not quite as sleek or simple as the iPhone's headset, but it's still quite small. I found I actually really liked the size because the buttons are really easily accessible, moreso than on any other headset I've used in the past. The volume adjustment works fine with the iPhone and it paired very easily. One feature I really like is that you can pair up to 3 devices to the Z9 headset, then press the multi-function button to switch over to them. That way if you wanted to swap the headset from using it with your iPhone to using it with, say, your Mac laptop over Bluetooth to chat on Skype or iChat, you don't have to do the whole pairing dance every time. It has a lot of other nice little features, just read the review linked above for more info on those. Oh, it also has great range - I could walk all over my room without any static at all.

Overall I really like it. If you need a new Bluetooth headset or are frustrated with the one you have, you'll probably really enjoy the Z9 headset. It's loads better than the iPhone headset in terms of quality, you can adjust the volume easily, you can swap between Bluetooth sources quickly, and it has great range.

Mac OS X (10.4.4)

Posted on Sep 20, 2007 12:00 PM

11 replies

Sep 21, 2007 7:01 AM in response to kaidomac

I ordered the Z9 through Amazon for $79.70 (including expedited shipping) and receivived the unit yesterday. I agree with kaidomac that the units works great with the iPhone and the noise cancellation is excellentl.

I am able to too easily switch the unit between my MBP and iPhone withour having to pair each time, which makes the unit very useable with iChat.

Windows is required to update the firmware in the Headset. I tried unsuccessfully performing the firmware update with Windows XP Pro on my MBP running Parrallels VM. The unit firmware updated without a hitch using an old Wndows machine that I had laying around collecting dust. I did not try the update with Bootcamp, as I do not have my MBP configured to run Windows that way.

I was orginally going to purchase the Apple Headset with my iPhone "iShill" store credit, but have read many reports that the unit was overpriced and had poor performance.

Jan 9, 2008 8:48 PM in response to kaidomac

kaidomac,

I have also paired the Z9 with my treo 650 and my MBP in that order. But cannot switch between them. followed instruction in Z9 manual. Even tried turning bluetooth off on the treo - I could then clicked the Z9 and got a MBP connection

but it dropped after a few seconds.

Fresh out of ideas on this. Am I overlooking something. Anyone have any suggestions.

Feb 20, 2008 9:30 PM in response to Strider-No.9

Strider-No.9 wrote:
I just bought it and I have synced it with my PS3 and iPhone. Its working okay with the only issue of switching, I dont seem to be doing it right.

My Z9 switches flawlessly from my phone to PS3, but doesnt switch to another phone that its paired with. I'm like you; I dont know what I am doing wrong. Its documented that it can switch up to 3 devices, but the best I can get is 2.

Feb 21, 2008 11:02 AM in response to xesez

Do you like one better than the other and does one work a little better than the other. I have them both and I'm trying to make a decision. One time the Jawbone worked better then next test the blueant worked better. Which do you find better as far as noise cancellation and clarity? Of course I hate the ear thing on the Jawbone but like the blueant ear thing. Any info will be appreciated.

Mar 9, 2008 9:35 AM in response to Michael Mehlhorn

Michael Mehlhorn wrote:
Windows is required to update the firmware in the Headset. I tried unsuccessfully performing the firmware update with Windows XP Pro on my MBP running Parrallels VM. The unit firmware updated without a hitch using an old Wndows machine that I had laying around collecting dust. I did not try the update with Bootcamp, as I do not have my MBP configured to run Windows that way.

I was orginally going to purchase the Apple Headset with my iPhone "iShill" store credit, but have read many reports that the unit was overpriced and had poor performance.

What you wrote solved a question I had. I'm also deciding between the Jawbone and Blueant Z9 but the fact that I have to use a proper Windows machine to do firmware upgrades is a no-go for me unless I can do it via Parallels which according to you experience is negative. I don't have access to a Windows Mac, that is unless I decide to make my MacBook Pro a boot-camp-able machine which would be silly because the only reason to do that would be for the Blueant firmware upgrade.

Alas!

BlueAnt Z9 headset - awesome with iPhone!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.