Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I use the AEBS(n) to feed another wireless signal to non-wifi devices?

Hi,

my dorm internet is served up to us wifi only with wep as well. of course my macbook pro can connect to it but none of my other devices which would normally connect to a router via ethernet.

Can i use the new airport extreme base station to connect to the dorm network with the wifi signal, THEN feed the internet connection to my other devices thru the ethernet ports?

i.e.: will a wifi signal serve as the WAN connection on the AEBS? then my non wifi devices can connect to the ethernet ports?

thanks in advance for the help!

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Sep 20, 2007 2:59 PM

5 replies

Sep 20, 2007 3:09 PM in response to el rolio

Hello el rolio. Welcome to the Apple Discussions!

Can i use the new airport extreme base station to connect to the dorm network with the wifi signal, THEN feed the internet connection to my other devices thru the ethernet ports?

Unfortunately, most non-AirPort routers are not compatible with Apple's implementation of Wireless Distribution System (WDS)...so it very unlikely that your dorm's wireless router can be extended wirelessly with the AirPort Express Base Station (AX).

However, you may want to take advantage of OS X's Internet Sharing feature to share your Mac's wireless network connection thru its wired Ethernet port to the other wired devices.

Sep 20, 2007 4:39 PM in response to el rolio

Thanks for the response

I have been trying to use net sharing actually but i can't tell if this thing needs me to set manul IP, should have DHCP on or off or what not. plus of course it only means one more device can be online it seems and not 2 or 3, etc.

what is normally the best way to put to use the connection sharing?

thanks
roli

Sep 20, 2007 5:38 PM in response to el rolio

Try this ...

To setup for Internet Sharing (Wireless to Wired):
Enable Software Firewall
System Preferences > Sharing > Firewall
o Click Stop to start the software firewall

Setup the Network
Wireless Internet Router > (wireless) > (AirPort Card) MacBook Pro (Ethernet port) > (Ethernet cable) > (Ethernet port) wired device

Setup Port Order
System Preferences > Network > Show > Network Port Configurations
o Verify that "AirPort" and "Built-In Ethernet" are enabled.
o Verify that "AirPort" is at the top of the list, followed by "Built-In Ethernet."
o Click "Apply Now."

Configure the Internet Connection
System Preferences > Network > Show > AirPort > TCP/IP
o Configure IPv4: Using DHCP
o Configure IPv6: Automatically or Off

Enable Internet Sharing
System Preferences > Sharing > Internet
o Share your connection from: AirPort
o To computers using: Built-In Ethernet (checked) (Note: Uncheck all other entries in the list.)
o Click Start

Can I use the AEBS(n) to feed another wireless signal to non-wifi devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.