Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

aspect ratio question

Hello all,

this footage Im using imported into FCP as 720 x 480 regular ntsc footage. In final cut the video displayes with a letterbox. Unfortunately I went ahead and edited everything before asking questions about this letterbox. So now im running into problems, I know Im doing this after the fact, but I cannot recapture and re-edit (although my suspicion is that the black bars were generated in the camera and thus were captured as part of the footage). Im am trying to build a dvd with this edited sequence in DVDSP.
I figured out that the actual footage (not including the black bars) is 720 x 360, which is very weird, I know. So to have my movie display correctly on a wide-screen and 4:3 tv, it would have to be at a 16:9 aspect ratio.

OK, Ive tried so many things, but I cant get it right.
1st, I made a new sequence in FCP changed this sequence to anamorphic. Then I copied my regualr sequence and pasted into new sequence, then I right click and choose remove all attributes/distort. It removes the letterbox but it sqeezes the footage vertically since my footage is 720 x 360, not 720 x 404... So this wont work...
Then I exported from FCP directly into compressor and I chose a 16:9 NTSC preset and crop 38 of top and 38 of bottom. The footage is now not sqeezed in any way and only a small letterbox remains (which I can live with) but the problem is, no matter what setting I use: DVD 90 minute best quality or increase bit rate, change gop, the footage looks aweful. Any time there is just a slight movement it has horizontal bars through it. Now, Its not the cropping, because it does it without cropping as well.

My questions are:
Is compressor just not that good? because when I ue a reference quicktime and let DVDSP do the encoding it looks great.
If I cant use compressot to crop how can I get a final m2v file that has a aspect ratio of 16:9 and doesnt get sqeezed...

Im sorry for this long post, just wanted to be clear on everything, please help!
Thank you! Danielle

Im using FCP 5.1, compressor 2 and DVDSP 4, footage came from regular dv camera (obviously set to some weird widesreen format) and I captured it directly into FCP

MacPro / macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Sep 21, 2007 5:55 AM

7 replies

Sep 21, 2007 6:19 AM in response to Danielle Smit

Hi:

Your footage is letterboxed on tape. No way to make an 16:9 native editing.

All you can do is creating a new anamorphic sequence, copy the 4:3 sequence on it and scale it up 134% to fill the anamorphic space. That will cause some loos of quality. No other way to play it full screen in widescreen TVs.

Export this anamorphic sequence using the 16:9 preset and in DVDSP set your track Display Mode: 16:9 letterbox. That way it will play full screen in 16:9 screens and letterboxed in regular TVs.

Hope that helps !

User uploaded file
Alberto

Sep 21, 2007 7:45 AM in response to Silal

Thank you for your reply!
It worked! thank you so much, ive been struggling with this for a while now! I defenitely have a loss of quality, I will have to watch it on my big plasma at home to make sure it is still ok.

Can I ask you another question?
When I export using compressor I get horizontal lines in the video, no matter the settings, Ive tried: dvd best quality 90 minutes 16:9 preset and customized a dvd 16:9 one with very high bit rates, and different GOP settings.
when I export with quicktime reference and import into DVDSP, it looks much better with their build in encoder.. since I have this loss of quality now, any suggestions on my compressor settings?
Ive already resigned to 2 DVD's with the main movie on one and the extras on the other, so we can go pretty high with bit rates.

Thanks again!
Danielle

Sep 21, 2007 8:04 AM in response to Silal

I see the lines when I use simulator in DVDSP, cant burn DVD yet, Im on the road. And yes with the new 16:9's I just created the track display is set to 16:9 as well as simulator, I thought that was the most accurate way of telling how something would look on a tv, but I will definitely try on real tv and see what happens.
So you think that on a tv you might not see them then?
Thanks!

Sep 21, 2007 8:11 AM in response to Danielle Smit

Hi:

Don't use Simulator for judging your footage. It's intended just to test your navigation. You can build in your hard drive and open the VIDEO_TS folder with DVD Player. Ussually by default DVD player deinterlace the image and you don't see that effect.

About the SOlved button, it's a problem with the system:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1134242

User uploaded file
Alberto

aspect ratio question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.