Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just a note on the lack of points

Since the points have gone away, its nice to see more new respondents posting instead of the familiar gang, at least in two of forums that i hang out in anyway.

Now a new post may sit for a while, and empty of responses entice the intrepid to offer an answer, that otherwise is closed off when already populated by responses.
This is how everyone starts, so its good to see 'fresh faces' getting a turn.

Just from casual observation from this 'error' or experiment, whichever it is, there still seems to be the same number of answered questions, (about 5 or 6 per non-current page) suggesting little adverse effect.

regards roam

eMac G4 1Ghz ; iBook G4 800Mhz, Mac OS X (10.3.9)

Posted on Sep 21, 2007 7:48 AM

136 replies

Sep 21, 2007 8:54 AM in response to roam

I'll second that, the new point system doesn't seem to work as intended anyway. There are at least a few boards, this included, where the Top User list never seems to change, even when the members hardly or never post. These boards (some at least) are not too dynamic. (I know, the iPhone boards for example, were hard to keep a post on the front page, but those are the exceptions.)

One of the boards I frequent has one Top User who has not posted to it this year, and only 300 all of last year.

New blood is a good thing.

Joe
User uploaded file

Sep 21, 2007 9:41 AM in response to joeuu

I'd love to see the points system thrown out altogether along with the Top Users boards. If they needed to keep the Level system in place it could run wholly from post count. Marking questions as solved and awarding helpful and solved stars to particular posts is still very much a valid device, but theres no reason to associate points with that. And why only 2 helpful posts? there are regularly many more helpful posts than that, not to mention the number of erroneously awarded solved stars to problems which are later identified as not solved at all. if such a system needs to exist then why not allow solved/helpful stars to be removed ( or moved ) ... probably the reason why not is it would play havoc with the all important point system :/

Sep 21, 2007 10:35 AM in response to joeuu

+There are at least a few boards, this included, where the Top User list never seems to change, even when the members hardly or never post+.

LOL! Babe Ruth hasn't hit a home run in 70-80 years, but he's still third on that list. Shwe kick him off for new blood? Maybe stick A-Rod at the top 'cause he's going to be there one day, anyway?

(Insert smiley here.)

Sep 21, 2007 10:53 AM in response to Rachel R

but Rachel, you're suddenly attributing "points" to the post count ... its just a post count. forget the points. post coint signifies nothing much more than how much you hang out on the board, that you're a regular, or not.

ideally they could scrap the levels too ... it would surely p. off some tho which is why i was postulating that they could keep it and attribute it solely to post count.

Sep 21, 2007 11:18 AM in response to Andy Mees

Before you joined (according to your Profile), there was a period of nearly two years where each post earned its poster one point.

What Rachel is saying is that in those days, many, many people threw up a bunch of cr4p to earn points and gain levels without actually contributing anything to the knowledge base.

Many of those people are still with us today, residing at levels they'd arrived at more quickly than they might have if points had always been a product of the quality of one's help.

Try as I might, I haven't come up with a way to level the playing field (as it were). And there really isn't a way of penalizing people who at one or another point in the past have attempted to game the system.

At this point (and earlier on, as well), the only real way to attempt to gauge the worth of one participant in these forums or another is to compile points-to-posts ratios for each member. There are problems with that, though, because there have been many occasions when the mass of the membership has had either or both their post counts and point totals radically adjusted for the sake of tweaks to the system(s).

My suggestion is that you keep doing what you do. Your points to posts ratio is very decent and if you keep it up like that (and Level 4 status is what you're actually after here, because there's very little chance that they'll scrap the 'reputation' system anytime soon) you'll get your next 2100 points even more quickly than your last 2100.

Good luck!

Sep 21, 2007 11:54 AM in response to joeuu

+"One of the boards I frequent has one Top User who has not posted to it this year"+

It very well may have taken years for that person to reach his/her place on that 'Top Users' list. If he/she has stopped posting in that forum, it may take a new member just as long to bump him/her down the list & take his/her place... Seems fair to me.

Cheers!
-Bryan

Sep 21, 2007 11:59 AM in response to Tuttle

the only real way to attempt to gauge the worth of one participant in these forums or another is to compile points-to-posts ratios for each member.

That's all well and good, but why about the myriad of OPs who have their problem solved, write hearty "thank you" to whomever solved it, and never give out points because they're unfamiliar with the system? This has happened to me more times than I can count.

User uploaded file

Just a note on the lack of points

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.